BlakeSmith

What Kind Of Sewing Machine Is Best For Sewing Handbags

I'm currently using a Techsew 5100 SE for all my work including bags, but looking for another machine to use and I typically use 5-6 oz leather. I've researched post-bed machines and have gotten some mixed reviews about whether or not they're a good choice for sewing hand bags. I've been working with leather full-time for a little over a year and i'm new to this. So my question is this :

What is the best machine to use for sewing handbags?

Something in the Consew 227 R class would be a bag sewing monster. They are designed for light to medium leather, and sew #69-138 thread. They are cylinder arm machines so they can reach inside and sew curves well. Most of the clone machine brands sell a version of this machine. I'm sure Pfaff and Juki make equivalent machines, but I don't know their model numbers.

On 28/02/2017 at 2:36 AM, BlakeSmith said:

I'm currently using a Techsew 5100 SE for all my work including bags, but looking for another machine to use and I typically use 5-6 oz leather. I've researched post-bed machines and have gotten some mixed reviews about whether or not they're a good choice for sewing hand bags. I've been working with leather full-time for a little over a year and i'm new to this. So my question is this :

What is the best machine to use for sewing handbags?

We have several machines for doing handbags. You have already the large end of the range as do I, so I can only think that you need a smaller cylinder arm and perhaps a flat bed. I have a very nice Adler feed wheel post bed, but for bags it is not hardly ever used. A Pfaff 335 sized machine gets the most work on bags here but that is possibly due to the bag styles we mostly make. Check my web page to see the range and I can say that most of the products you see there at some stage go through the smaller cylinder. Not knowing exactly what you want to do bag wise it is hard to say and if you have some pictures that may help.