TBigLug

How Do I Clean Grain Prior to Oiling or Dyeing?

I saw it in a post somewhere but can't find it again. Apparently my search terms were incorrect. 

How do I clean my leather of the "residue" from the manufacturing process? I'm getting my feet wet with an econo veg tan side from HH. When I wet a piece I was folding over for a pocket holster I noticed there was a couple spots that did not take water. My only guess is that it was a small drop of "manufacturing residue", lol. I thought someone mentioned cleaning with alcohol or mineral spirits. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

I use Fiebling's Deglazer. Sometimes, very rarely, I use lacquer thinners

God's honest truth, if you're dyeing and reconditioning, and quick wipe with xylene does great. Otherwise, a mild solution of oxalic acid (Barkeep's Friend is a consumer product that I believe is 100% oxalic acid).

1 hour ago, Nuttish said:

God's honest truth, if you're dyeing and reconditioning, and quick wipe with xylene does great. Otherwise, a mild solution of oxalic acid (Barkeep's Friend is a consumer product that I believe is 100% oxalic acid).

NOT 100%. But you can get oxalic acid from almost any leather supply house, or Bee Keepers. Yes, I said BEE, not BAR.

What do you suppose is in Fiebings degalzer? I've often wondered.  I bought some but was thinking it was probably something I already had on hand. 

Edited by slipangle

There is an oxalic acid product called wood bleach that's much cheaper than bar keepers friend. I saw it at Ace Hardware.