Squilchuck

Split the bottom of twisted stirrup leathers?

Do you split (thin) the bottom of your twisted stirrup leathers, and, if yes, by how much?  I am working on a third saddle using Jeremiah Watts' video, along with the Stohlman and Adams books.  JM says to split the bottom 24" of the stirrup leather where it attaches to the fender to reduce bulk at the bottom of fenders that are turned/twisted when set, but he does not say how much to thin the leather.  I did not twist or split the leathers on the other saddles I made.  I am using 11/13 oz HO skirting on this saddle, so wonder about the need to split to reduce bulk and facilitate the twist and set.  Got any advice on whether to split or how much to thin 11/13 oz skirting leathers?  --John

John,

If I had a splitter, I would take it down to about 10 oz. However that's just a gut feeling on my part as I have no experience other than twisting 13/15 oz stirrup leathers.

Randy

John,

To split or not to split is determined by the intended use of the saddle.  A lot of fenders have the stirrup leathers only attached at the top, and a short piece of leather is attached at the stirrup buckle end and works as a wear piece under the stirrup bolt.  This helps in reducing the weight of the saddle and is used on recreational trail saddles. 

How wide are your stirrup leathers?  And, how long are you cutting your stirrup piece from the fender down?  I have found that you have to cut your stirrup piece of the finders longer than suggested by Stohlman's book and the Blevins buckle instructions when twisting the stirrup piece.  In short, you ask 10 people, you'll get 10 answers.

Ron

Leathers are full length and 3" wide.  The section from fender bottom to buckle is 10" long. The saddle is a Wade intended for ranch roping and general use 

John,

If you've already cut your fenders then it is too late to make a longer buckle end.  Try splitting your leathers from the top of the skirt downward to reduce bulk.   As mentioned, there are a lot of saddles that don't use full length leathers, and they work just fine.  So reducing leather under the fender won't hurt.  However, I've found when twisting the leathers, if you don't have a long enough buckle end, the twist will interfere with the stirrup swing at it's loop position.  It also requires slightly longer stirrup hobbles to account for the bulk of the twist.  You can see by the attached photo what I'm talking about.  The leathers in this photo are 2 1/2" wide.  The buckle end was longer than 12 inches because the buckles are Farrows, not Blevins.  The leathers were full length and were 12/13 oz.

Ron

IMG_0683 - Copy.JPG

Thanks, Ron.  I cut the legs ten inches based on the JW video where he twists the leg but does not wrap.  I fastened the leathers but have not twisted and set them. I see what you mean - not enough length for a latigo wrap. I have the Pete Gorrel book from Leather Crafters journal and he recommends a 12" leg as you did for a wrapped leg. I should have read that chapter before cutting. Well, I'm learning all the time!   I'll twist and set without the wrap and see how I like it.  At worst I buy another skirting side and cut new fenders. -- John. PS I decided to not split the leathers.