Sonydaze

UWE's 441 Table - Installation on an Artisan

I was never happy with the table supplied with my Artisan Toro 3200 for several reasons.   When I saw some of Uwe's table pictures last January, I talked to him about one. He looked into it and realized that the Artisan does not have the third hole midway up the cylinder arm for fastening his table to the machine (many other machines have this tapped hole).  We talked more and I agreed to try mounting one.of his tables on my Artisan.

He promptly shipped it and it was amazingly well packaged when it arrived.  Right after that my spare time took a right turn until today and I was finally able to get it mounted:

I mounted the table by the two screws by the presser feet (they went in easily), then I took a centering punch that fit the hole in the table where the third screw needed to be and tapped a centering mark into my cylinder arm.

I took the table back off then drilled and tapped the cylinder arm for a 1/4 NC bolt. The casting was about 1/4" thick, it both drilled and tapped fairly easily.  Next I put the table back on the machine now with the third screw (1/4" x 1" pan head) which nicely filled the counter sunk hole.  It is nice and solid.  Once I had gathered tools and bits, it probably took me less than 30 minutes to get it mounted.

Pros:

- Arrived very well packaged, not much chance having to return a table damaged in shipping.

- Well made and very well thought out design. I think it has eliminated all of the the things I didn't like about the original table.

- The magnetically held bobbin access plate is an ingenious improvement (vs. having to get your head under the table to change a bobbin). The plate comes out easily yet stays in place.

- Oiling holes are still accessible.

- It is a nice size and very solid.  

Con:

The top edge of the table was a bit sharp and catchy.  (A few minutes with a piece 180 grit sand paper readily fixed that.)

Overall I am happy with the table and would do it again even having to drill and tap my cylinder arm.

Notes:

- You need a right angle drill or a right angle attachment on your drill to drill the hole. 

- An extra set of eyes to help keep the drill bit vertical is helpful.

- Go slow as you drill through, there is a shaft about a 1/4" under the casting.

UWe table-1-2.png

UWe table-5-3.png

UWe table-6-2.png

Edited by Sonydaze
typo

I really like the bobbin plate  Someone like myself with deginerating vertabra could really possibly use. thanks for sharing.

Bro Timothy

15 hours ago, Hillbilly tim said:

I really like the bobbin plate  Someone like myself with deginerating vertabra could really possibly use. thanks for sharing.

Bro Timothy

I hear you, with some arthritis creeping up on me, hunching over and dealing with the bobbin in the shadows was not fun.  Now it is easy to see what I'm doing and without any non-consensual yoga. :)

I have Uwe's flat bed attachment for my PFAFF 335. I love it. Works beautifully and he did a great job making it. 

Chuck