ClassicBlock

Sewing machine for up to 14oz of leather

Good day, I'm in the market for a sewing machine to sew up to 14oz of leather which consists of 8/9 oz or 11/12 oz veg tan and sometimes with a glued suede backing. I have a budget of around $1200, I looked at the cowboy and cobra machines but the shipping cost put me quite a bit over budget. I read a few post here and what I got was that the modern Japanese and Chinese machines work well with the right stats. I'm in South Florida and a dealer with a hour drive has allot of forgin machines new and used that I have difficulty finding information on. One that I was hoping to get some opinions on is a DURKOPP ADLER 272 https://floridasewingmachines.com/walking-foot/durkopp-adler-272-needle-feed-1-needle-2-thread-lockstitch-1250.html )

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That Durkopp Adler 272 is a fine machine for its intended purpose, but being a good starter machine for sewing leather is not its intended purpose. The 3-phase power requirement alone rules it out for nearly all domestic settings. 

This Juki LU-563 is an example of what many people here on LW want to own and work with: https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/hvo/6013897271.html  These machines are very capable and well made, cheap parts are readily available and the servo motor provides good low speed control.

Thanks for the reply and input, I did see that Craigslist ad and looked it up but I remember seeing a post here where I think Steven said some of those are up to 30 years old and should be inspected carefully to make sure it's not worn out so I skipped it because is a 3 hour drive and I'm new to these machines so I doubt I have the skills to tell if one is worn.

Is there a expert way of checking how old or  if a machine is worthy of buying short of just how well it stiches? 

Sorry for all the questions but I would like some of you knowledge so I don't end up spending what a new cb3200 or Consew 206rd would cost down the road.

If you're worried about pitfalls and condition of used machines, get a brand new Consew 206RB5 with a servo motor from Miami Sewing. It should be very close to your price target (you can get one shipped from California for $1350 on Ebay so local pickup hopefully will be a cheaper.) The Consew 206RB5 is a very good, capable design and a great starter machine. Having a dealer and service option within driving distance is a big deal. Go local if you can.

I wouldn't order from ebay for a new machine personally. Have you checked with  Bob at toledo sewing?

The advise to buy from a dealer is good advise.  Especially if it is your first industrial sewing machine.  Most people new to them will have a few problems that a good dealer is very valuable on getting you through them with minimum frustration and cost.

6 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

I wouldn't order from ebay for a new machine personally. Have you checked with  Bob at toledo sewing?

I haven't spoken to them over there because before shipping with the servo motor it's $1,345 and I doubt they want to loose on the shipping. Still waiting to hear back from local guy.

Just wondering, why wouldn't you want to buy new from the company on eBay? 

7 hours ago, ClassicBlock said:

I haven't spoken to them over there because before shipping with the servo motor it's $1,345 and I doubt they want to loose on the shipping. Still waiting to hear back from local guy.

Just wondering, why wouldn't you want to buy new from the company on eBay? 

So a few things on this that is just IMHO. 

Ebay can be a good resource for some things although for many the prices have gotten out of whack with most of it crap thats drop shipped from china. This could also be the case with your sewing machine (or basically they get it in, sort the boxes, and ship it right back out). If your experienced with sewing machines this is a none issue assuming your fine with spending more money getting replacement parts and know how to fix and adjust everything from scratch. Not saying its overly difficult once you know how and buying from a re-seller of a good establishment doesn't always guarantee a perfect machine but should guarantee support if it requires it. That being said I have bought a used sewing machine off ebay and had a decent experience but it was $300 not 1300. 

Now I dont necessarily agree with all the A--kissing banner board sales promotions in every thread that has someone inquiring about a sewing machine or countering against those that dont pay to advertise on the site (there are alot of other good dealers out there and alot of bad too). On the flip side some of them are on here answering questions and contributing even to people who never bought a machine from them. 

So boils down to what you can afford and how much extra you want to spend to ensure good post sale customer service. Also make sure you atleast call and inquire about a total shipped price. Sometimes a little bargaining can get ya a little. Theres always some leeway. Sometimes spending an extra 10-15% can be worth it, sometimes not. All up to you since your the one stuck with the machine after the sale noone else.