Danno90

Seeing what you're doing

So in my questhoughts as a newbie to find out as much as I can before jumping in, I was wondering what soultions/considerations you guys and gals had come up with for doing work with "bad" eyes?

Basically I have a lesser-common condition called Keratoconus which means basically the focussing and refractive ability of my eyes isn't so great, it gives a lot of double vision and blurriness times.

I'm currently a glasses wearer but over time as things progress (how fast and to what point is yet to be determined) but will more than likely "have" to wear contact lenses within the next few years.

In the mean time I'm considering getting a clip on magnifying lens for close up work as my current glasses attempt to correct the fuzziness... Anyone used these with success?

I suppose good workspace lighting is also a must  although it can't be too bright because I'm also prone to begin affected (migraines and such) from too bright light... which is no more evident than when I'm at work in retail under horrible strip lighting.

So yeah. Thread open to those with eye stuff to discuss their methods of making life easier :)

I use one of these:

light.JPG

I use a headset with several flip down lenses and a built in LED light.  Light isn't so good, but it helps with my close up tasks and only cost about $8 on Amazon: SE MH1047L Illuminated Multi-Power LED Head Magnifier

When carving leather, lighting from more than one direction is good, other than that, I need some magnification for stitching also, but just went to the eye doctor today, and am considering glasses just for leatherwork. 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I might go for some sort of poseable/freestanding lamp/magnifier combo to start with as it kills 2 birds with 1 stone, and not a lot more expensive than a lamp on its own.

I guess working with leather could use a minimum of 3 hands at the best of times so any form of handheld magnifier is automatically out of the question :P

"so any form of handheld magnifier is automatically out of the question"...oh yeah! Ya got that right!