guymokia

TECHSEW 3850 PRO question

Hi everyone, 
first i want to thank you all for all the info you guys are sharing , i learn a lot on this site , but this is my first post / question 
Im thinking getting TECHSEW 3850 PRO $ 2,195.00  plus shipping 300$ .

I have been working on leather for couple of years now , and been doing all by hand, and i think its time to get sewing machine to help cut down production time, you can guys check out my stuff online its badguyleather 
its still small business, work from home but hope soon ill have some actual work space  ,  I have never used sewing machines before , so i know its gonna be lot of learning involved.

Leather I use : vegetable tan leather only min 3-4 oz to 8-9 oz usually 2-4 layers on 3-4 oz on wallets on the light weight and 15-17 oz on the top end of it ( 8-9+5-6 oz)  
I talked to customer service and they helped a lot , but maybe i can get more answers here 
what I usually do : wallets-min 4-5 oz, backpacks min 4-5 oz , motorcycle bags min 13-15 oz 

My questions are :

1. will this model handle on the thinner side , i know it will on heavy side, 

2. how hard is to switch / adjust the tension between different applications 
3. I've been told for wallets to use 92 thread with 20-21 needle 
4. for motorcycle tool bags 8-9 oz +5-6 oz im using now 1mm waxed thread , will it be 277 thread with 26 needle ?? 

if you guys think some other machine will work better i would like to hear it,  im sure im forgetting to ask more questions , 

Edited by guymokia

just call Ron at Techsew and he will set you straight...fantastic support 

Your projects look great, I think this would be a good machine for that type of work.

From the description, I like the Techsew 3850, it looks to be a good value for 7X3 machine.  It's not a big deal swapping needle and thread size and then adjusting the tension, however keep all your scraps since you will need them for test strip as you change the settings.  Plus you don't have to change the thread size per project.  There is no rule you have to use 92 for wallets and 277 for bags, you can use whatever thread you like.  The heavy thread just changes the look of your project. 

Thank u all for responding,  is there some promo code or some discount? 

You're kidding, right?

Thank u all for responding,  is there some promo code or some discount? 

:lol: You Americans are so used to "promo" codes that you think it applies everywhere. There are some things where they don't need to provide them, this is one. You'll still enjoy the machine.

Snip...

My questions are :

1. will this model handle on the thinner side , i know it will on heavy side, 

2. how hard is to switch / adjust the tension between different applications 
3. I've been told for wallets to use 92 thread with 20-21 needle 
4. for motorcycle tool bags 8-9 oz +5-6 oz im using now 1mm waxed thread , will it be 277 thread with 26 needle ?? 

if you guys think some other machine will work better i would like to hear it,  im sure im forgetting to ask more questions , 

The Techsew 3850 Pro can handle lighter work to a point. Being based on the $6,000 Juki TSC-441, while targeted at large thread, thick work sewers, above 6 ounces, this scaled down clone can be fitted with thinner #19 or #20 needles that are normally used to sew with #92 bonded thread (15 pound test). You would probably need to change the tensions on the top and bobbin case and possibly also to the check spring to get properly placed knots. But, from my own experience sewing on Cobra and Cowboy 441 clone machines, it is doable.

The TS-3850 looks like a very capable machine that can do all that you've asked, albeit with some adjusting. It is priced very competitively with the other name brands sold by other dealers who support our forums. In the scheme of things, it is priced in the sweet spot between the mid-level and higher end machines. The company is a supporter of Leatherworker.net and they stand behind their machines if and when buyers have problems.

The basic reality is that super heavy duty 441 type machines can be dumbed down to handle thinner thread, needles and projects, if you are willing to dink with the tensions and maybe change to a slotted throat plate and remove the huge feed dog. In contrast, you simply cannot make most of the lighter duty walking foot machines sew thick leather or use thread heavier than #207, if they'll even handle that size. My solution is to have more than one machine and use the one best suited to a particular job. But that's me.

As regards discounts, the best time and place to seek them is to attend one of the regional leather crafting shows where the machine dealers set up and show off their machines. You might could get a real deal in person, rather than on the phone. Most dealers would rather go home with cash in hand then load unsold heavy machines, at the end of the show. But, once you ask them to pack, palletize, insure and ship a machine by trucks across the Country, there is no room left to dicker on the price.

You can also check classifieds in your State to see if anybody within driving range has a similar used machine for sale. We have a classifieds section called the Marketplace where people sell both reconditioned and used sewing machines. You might find one you like there at a price you're comfortable with.

if you guys think some other machine will work better i would like to hear it,

There is indeed another leather sewing machine that I can think of that does all the things you asked about and more, with the utmost smoothness and precision and has an even larger bobbin capacity. It is from Germany and is being offered to discriminating US customers seeking the ultimate stitching machine, at an unheard of introductory price, by another one of our sponsors. See the description and price here.

Haha - the 969 - that's funny!  Now I know your kidding but you do bring up a good point.  How much better does the 969 actually feel?  Did they name it after the Porsche?  Is that kind of good?  Darn now I want to try one out.  Thanks for adding that to my OCD list. 

Haha - the 969 - that's funny!  Now I know your kidding but you do bring up a good point.  How much better does the 969 actually feel?  Did they name it after the Porsche?  Is that kind of good?  Darn now I want to try one out.  Thanks for adding that to my OCD list. 

I was only able to try out the 869 ECO at Weaver's and it blew me away. I would have a 969 in a heartbeat if I had that kind of money. No contest!

Thanks for replies,  

Reason I asked if there is a discount on this it's still a new business  and I was stretching my budget , for some of you it might not be much 

Regardless I spoke with Ron and he was extremely  helpful and I'm now owner of 3850 model it will be shipped in few days to Los Angeles , 

On the side note , I tryed looking online for t350 and t415 thread and I could not find any , do u guys have any sugestions ?

Thanks for replies,  

Reason I asked if there is a discount on this it's still a new business  and I was stretching my budget , for some of you it might not be much 

Regardless I spoke with Ron and he was extremely  helpful and I'm now owner of 3850 model it will be shipped in few days to Los Angeles , 

On the side note , I tryed looking online for t350 and t415 thread and I could not find any , do u guys have any sugestions ?

Congrats! Did you ask Ron about thread? They sell all sizes of thread and needles that work with their machines.

Otherwise, contact Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, an advertiser here, about their Cowboy brand thread. They may also still have some high end Anafil thread on hand. Otherwise, check out Superior Thread for various weights at least up to #346.

Note: colors tend to be limited once you reach #346

BTW: We normally speak about thread for sewing leather in US sizes rather than the British Ticket sizes. The US sizes would be #346 and #415 (aka: T400). See this thread and needle chart for a cross reference and other technical specs.