Chuckydownunder

Chucky from Brisbane, Australia

G'Day,

First of all thank you for all being a part of the forum, it is filled with amazing information and great people from what I can see.  I am new to leatherworking, but grew up around saddlemakers in the coutry of my homeland, the UK.  I build old motorcycles and cars mainly customised versions of Pre-'70's stuff.  I also like to play around with CAD to do profiling for peoples projects (Laser/Water/Plasma Cutting).

I have long dreamed of taking leatherwork on to do my own tool rolls and bike seats etc and I am largely influenced by Duane Ballards work, and I am hoping to concentrate on bevelling and backgrounding to start.

So far I have picked up numerous old low/mid range stamping tools mainly early Craftool, I have also been picking up nice interesting old Dividers, Cobbling hammers etc where I can.

I look forward to talking to you all!!

I have attached some photos of myself, my lady, and my bikes so you get an Idea who I am, any the first project will likely be a sporran! :-)

Chucky

Chucky D.jpg

me and bike.jpg

tank decals.jpg

virago 3.jpg

Welcome to the forum!  I like the Triumph - 45 years ago I bought a 1972 Bonneville, extended the fork 10", new bars, seat, paint - your bike brings back good memories!  

Yea likewise with the welcome Chuky, had a couple of Bonnies myself but not quite so pretty as yours.I'm up in Rocky if the name did not give it away already.

Hey Chucky and fellow Brisbaneite, I am also still new to leather working. We have some amazing leather & tool suppliers here in Brisbane. Love the bikes, I am pretty sure my dad had a Yamaha the same as that one when I was a kid

G'Day Mate,

I can only find one supplier of tools out by Capalaba, but there do seem to be some great tannerys especially Packers.

Regards,

Chucky

On 5/20/2017 at 5:21 PM, Chuckydownunder said:

G'Day Mate,

I can only find one supplier of tools out by Capalaba, but there do seem to be some great tannerys especially Packers.

Regards,

Chucky

I live about 10mins from Packer Leather and get my kangaroo from them as well as my belt blanks etc. Packer leather are really good for high quality Kangaroo, but only have 3rd grade in their bovine range. Maclace down at Capalaba are really good for tools and import leather etc. If you sign up for their wholesale membership (need ABN) you can get a really good discount with them. http://www.maclace.com.au/

There is also Crispins at Wooloowin, also really good for tool supplies ect. And Lastly there is Eastcoast Leather at Mount Cotton, They are probably the best for Leather supplies including exotics as well as some tools.

Hope this helps you out.

Hi, Chucky! When you get a pattern for a sporran, would you mind sharing? I play bagpipes and wear kilt and sporran for the volunteer fire dept and would love to make my own!

9 hours ago, Valarie said:

Hi, Chucky! When you get a pattern for a sporran, would you mind sharing? I play bagpipes and wear kilt and sporran for the volunteer fire dept and would love to make my own!

Here is one I found through the Patterns forum on this site: http://www.troop7.net/Resources/5. Old Style Sporran Patterns.pdf I hope this helps you both in building one

Thank you!