I'm currently gearing up for building a custom suit of veg-tan leather armor to go over another costume. However, I am new to the process of dyeing leather having previously only used paints for coloring projects. So I'm looking for advice on the what materials I should purchase and tips to use them best.

The most important part is I need a dye and a sealent that will guarantee that there will be NO bleeding of the dye. The costume underneath is very expensive and difficult to clean and will likely be be rubbing against other equally expensive and difficult to clean costumes and many use white materials including faux fur.

Thank you so much. 

The main ingredient is patience grasshopper

Apply the thinned dye in stages to build up the colour. When its dry; buff with clean cloths to remove any excess on the surface. When you think you've buffed enough, buff some more, and some more

Then apply a sealant. I'm happy with Resolene. Apply thinned coats in stages. Allow 12 to 24 hours for each coating to dry. Apply maybe four thinned coats, more if you want the leather shiny. Allow to completely dry for at least a week.

Then wear it over a white linen tunic to make sure you haven't missed anywheres.

You may also want to look into lining the inside of the armor, with either a softer leather or with cloth, after all that patient work fredk recommended above. 
If the costume warrants it, you could add another layer of cloth between your expensive materials and the leather (like a surcoat or a padded jacket, like those worn under metal armor.)

will you be hard waxing or boiling the armor plates?