monkeyy

Newbie here, Please give me some advices ofdying technique

I think this was done with "resist". Brush on a solution that blocks the floral parts, then dye over it with Black. I'm sure there are other ways to produce that effect, but I'd do the resist technique.

Pics are of some items with resist applied to the floral areas. The darker brown of the checkbook cover was applied over the entire piece, but the satin sheen finish applied the to floral parts resisted the stain.

rangerback.jpg

ritzathread.jpg

32 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

I think this was done with "resist". Brush on a solution that blocks the floral parts, then dye over it with Black. I'm sure there are other ways to produce that effect, but I'd do the resist technique.

Pics are of some items with resist applied to the floral areas. The darker brown of the checkbook cover was applied over the entire piece, but the satin sheen finish applied the to floral parts resisted the stain.

rangerback.jpg

ritzathread.jpg

and the black was hand painted?

Yep, small brush, VERY slowly and carefully. You need a definite barrier, like a knife cut, or sharp bevel, to keep the black from flowing where you don't want it. Mistakes don't go away easily. I used to use a dark brown stain, and had to go over it at least twice, then tried black dye...woo-hoo! Much faster and a better result. A lot of people don't do the dark background, but I really like the effect. I've done it without, and the contrast really adds something when you have the background, the resisted area, and the surrounding third shade.

BTW, I have to say, the satin sheen as a resist is kind of difficult, as it dries quickly, and you can't tell where you applied it and where you didn't. It's not horrible, but you really have to keep track of where you've been already!

Edited by alpha2

On 9/5/2560 at 1:29 AM, alpha2 said:

rangerback.jpg

ritzathread.jpg

Hi, Thank you so much. I will try to do it with "resist" . I have "super sheen" and "satin" . Which one is good for resist?

As it's not a final finish, I suspect it doesn't matter. You're only resisting the application of the dye/stain. As a final finish, you would use what would give you a matte or shiny finish. I'm not so big on the gloss, so I go with the satin.

When doing new dying techniques, do some practice runs on some scrap from the same hide before you start on your nicely tooled item.

Tom

@monkeyy try picking up a few of the refillable dye pens from tandy. I grabbed 2 and filled 1 with black for doing that type of work and it is a heck of a lot easier then using a paint brush, no matter how small.

If you are asking about the engraved floral design I think it is a resist before a stain. If you are asking about the basketweave I believe it was block dyed with black or a dark brown (looks like it could be Cordovan which is what I would have chosen instead of a stark black).

Were I to do this I would dye the "reddish" color then take a piece of tee shirt and wrap it tightly around a small wooden block. Put some dye in a little flat receptacle like the lid of a Chinese food container and gently load the tee shirt up with some dye. have a clean rag of paper towel near by and just blot off some dye so the rag is not to wet or it will get everywhere. Now gently rub on the surface of the basketweave and Wala .. you will have that effect.