Dun

Veg tan recommendations?

Looking through and trying to absorb as much as I can, especially from threads like 

but I wanted to ask for some specific questions. Links to specific recommendations would be great since I'm not familiar with brands, tanneries and types.

I'm still very new and have very little to actually spend on leather so can't afford "you get what you pay for" kind of quality, so I'm keeping an eye out for deals.

-Love the veg tan non-tooled( just oiled, conditioned and satin sheen golden brown patina) look. Does it have to be higher end tooling veg tan? Can I save some money on non tooling leather? Want enough to do a couple prototype briefcases while learning. 

-is 3-4 oz okay for briefcase/purses once it has 3 layers built up? Am I saving money by getting thinner veg tan?

-Do you have an (economy?) veg tan you would recommend to learn tooling on? Cheap-ish leaning to do some "for family only" projects.

Thanks,

Mike

I never recommend getting "economy" leather.  Tooled or not, the better leather looks better every time, and it's easier to work with.  And there isn't much "economy' in it anyway.. since the price isn't much difference and the waste is far more, so the "economy" may in fact be costing you MORE.  Seriously,if you could find some place to "save" you $2 / foot less, you're still only talking about $40 more for the GOOD stuff!  My wife used to get sucked into those "gimmick" pricing things... drive clear across town because there's a filling station advertising 10¢ off per gallon.  Didn't compute that with a 20-gallon tank, they just got you to drive CLEAR across town to "save" $2 (and burned up that much going to get it).

Yes, 3 layers of 3/4 is heavy enough for a case, absolutely.

Some places, thinner leather is a few pennies less money.  But if you're laminating it, the "savings" is eaten up in the extra leather.  At Hermann Oak, the price is the same from 2/3 oz up to 8 oz.

18 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I never recommend getting "economy" leather.  Tooled or not, the better leather looks better every time, and it's easier to work with.  And there isn't much "economy' in it anyway.. since the price isn't much difference and the waste is far more, so the "economy" may in fact be costing you MORE.  Seriously,if you could find some place to "save" you $2 / foot less, you're still only talking about $40 more for the GOOD stuff!  My wife used to get sucked into those "gimmick" pricing things... drive clear across town because there's a filling station advertising 10¢ off per gallon.  Didn't compute that with a 20-gallon tank, they just got you to drive CLEAR across town to "save" $2 (and burned up that much going to get it).

Yes, 3 layers of 3/4 is heavy enough for a case, absolutely.

Some places, thinner leather is a few pennies less money.  But if you're laminating it, the "savings" is eaten up in the extra leather.  At Hermann Oak, the price is the same from 2/3 oz up to 8 oz.

$2 a foot doesn't sound like much of a save, but I'm hurting enough monetarily that $40 actually does sound good??? Maybe I just need to find a similar colored, but not tooling quality, leather? No idea where to start there. 

Thanks! By the bye, what isn't heavy enough for a case

"Laminating"? 

Thanks again. I hope I don't sound like I'm not wanting to take your advice, I'm just a maximizer and like to know all options and mistakes  before I make them.

Mike

No offense taken -- each his own.

As a rule, leather thickness for cases is dictated by teh size of the case and what it will contain, with larger and heavier items held in cases of heavier leather.

For a small binder or portfolio type case (8.5x11" paper) I wouldn't use less than 6/7 oz, and more likely 8 or even 9 oz.  Laminating, or layering, 3 layers of 3/4 would certainly be heavy enough to do that.

On 5/12/2017 at 0:58 PM, JLSleather said:

No offense taken -- each his own.

As a rule, leather thickness for cases is dictated by teh size of the case and what it will contain, with larger and heavier items held in cases of heavier leather.

For a small binder or portfolio type case (8.5x11" paper) I wouldn't use less than 6/7 oz, and more likely 8 or even 9 oz.  Laminating, or layering, 3 layers of 3/4 would certainly be heavy enough to do that.

Thanks!

Do you have any specific leather suggestions for some of the project types I've shown here-

or should I really just be investing in some Hermann Oak Veg Tan?

My best suggestion would be to just start shopping around.  Some tanneries and suppliers run banner ads here.  I really don't think you need Herman Oak if that is outside of your price range.  Start with some less expensive stuff then decide for yourself.  If you have a Tandy near you, go for a visit and look through their inventory.  They are not the cheapest and there are a lot of problems with some of their stuff but if you can see it in person, it should help greatly.  Plus they are always running sales and you may find just what you need.

1 hour ago, cjartist said:

My best suggestion would be to just start shopping around.  Some tanneries and suppliers run banner ads here.  I really don't think you need Herman Oak if that is outside of your price range.  Start with some less expensive stuff then decide for yourself.  If you have a Tandy near you, go for a visit and look through their inventory.  They are not the cheapest and there are a lot of problems with some of their stuff but if you can see it in person, it should help greatly.  Plus they are always running sales and you may find just what you need.

Thanks. Everything I've done so far is from tandy sales(and using skinned couch leather as liner/prototype filler). I guess another thing I don't trust is my own eyes. I'm partially color blind which is why specific recommendations are greatly appreciated because then I don't have to guess.

Leatherworker dot net, what are some of your preferred milled/tumbled type leathers?

10 hours ago, Dun said:

Leatherworker dot net, what are some of your preferred milled/tumbled type leathers?

I have been using a lot of the Tandy milled shoulders.  Cost is around $50 or $60, and I really like it in the 5-6 oz variety. Tools very well for me.

2 hours ago, cjartist said:

I have been using a lot of the Tandy milled shoulders.  Cost is around $50 or $60, and I really like it in the 5-6 oz variety. Tools very well for me.

Does it also dye and burnish like regular veg tan?

57 minutes ago, Dun said:

Does it also dye and burnish like regular veg tan?

Yes to the dying.  I haven't tried to burnish it.  It would be a bit floppy, but should work.

On 5/12/2017 at 2:46 PM, Dun said:

$2 a foot doesn't sound like much of a save, but I'm hurting enough monetarily that $40 actually does sound good??? Maybe I just need to find a similar colored, but not tooling quality, leather? No idea where to start there. 

Thanks! By the bye, what isn't heavy enough for a case

"Laminating"? 

Thanks again. I hope I don't sound like I'm not wanting to take your advice, I'm just a maximizer and like to know all options and mistakes  before I make them.

Mike

Try the Leather and Lace for sale section on Leatherworker?  Just sayin.. .you might find a piece or two you could make an offer on around there...

YinTx

I second that.  nstarleather sells quite a bit of stuff there and is a pleasure to deal with.  I have bought some Essex (from horween) a couple times and it may fit the bill of your milled/tumbled.  It has been nearly as flexible as the mill tanned chap leather that I have bought.  I would send a pm, maybe there is some to be had  

I have also bought a bunch of stuff from a local boot, saddle and general leather work shop.  I have bought scrap and several square feet off of a side. So that might be an option. 

Edited by Brianm77

On 5/28/2017 at 4:10 PM, YinTx said:

Try the Leather and Lace for sale section on Leatherworker?  Just sayin.. .you might find a piece or two you could make an offer on around there...

YinTx

Thanks! Still so new I hadn't seen that subforum yet.

On 5/29/2017 at 7:55 PM, Brianm77 said:

I second that.  nstarleather sells quite a bit of stuff there and is a pleasure to deal with.  I have bought some Essex (from horween) a couple times and it may fit the bill of your milled/tumbled.  It has been nearly as flexible as the mill tanned chap leather that I have bought.  I would send a pm, maybe there is some to be had  

I have also bought a bunch of stuff from a local boot, saddle and general leather work shop.  I have bought scrap and several square feet off of a side. So that might be an option. 

Hmm, norco isn't too far and that is a horse town...thanks, I need to take a look.

I'm honestly wondering if there are enough SoCal people on here that a bulk order could be done with a meet up?

Maybe try The Hide House out of Napa Valley to source leather. Ask for Rodger, he is our sales person. Good stuff. For Chrome tanned we use Eureka Leather in Rancho Cordova Ca.  Hope this can be of some help.

Ben