mrchris

Servo Motor Fried?

I've got a Consew 206-RB2 that I picked up cheap about 6 months ago. Came with the clutch motor so I swapped out in January with a servo, going with a Consew CSM-1000. 

I've only used it about 2 maybe 3 hours total since installing it and it's worked quite well for that brief usage. Went to use last night and the red numeric display just flashes all the segments rapidly. Turned off and unplugged for a couple hours and it ran for about 10 minutes and then they started flashing again.When it starts flashing the motor will not turn, so it's not just something to live with. 

Thoughts or ideas on a fix? Or is this a pack it up and send in for repair or just toss and replace? I have no idea what Consews warranty service is like. 

Could it be that it is just getting overloaded?  It says something about that on the PDF.  Reduce the load?  Not sure if that means your belt it to tight, or the wheel to heavy?  Or maybe the project to thick?  But I am sure it is one of them

CSM1000.pdf

Not sure but sounds like an error when the motor finds it hard to sew. this happens on my jack servo also when it is tough leather or it sticks it stops working. it has to be turned off and then on again. or possibly little tension from the belt??? just guessing.

Thanks, I'll double check. But it seems to do it, even if I don't sew anything and just turn it on and let it sit. 

I suspect if it only runs a few minutes at a time - with the belt off - it has issues and you should contact the company. 

I agree its time to get the paperwork out. Its a bummer for sure, sometimes it happens. I suspect its best to consider the total replacement even this new, rather than just the controller if separate.

Good luck and please update us with any findings they might share. 

Floyd

I had a similar situation when I bought (new) one of the very first servo motors. I should have returned it right away and could have gotten replacement if I'd done it early enough. My motor worked sometimes and sometimes it did not work. Then it just quit all together and there was no way to get a refund. At the time, the motors cost double what they do now. Still not happy about it, but that's how it was. So, if you can, just return it! There you go, my two cents!

Well for what it's worth...

I hadn't played with it since my original post as I've been swamped by my day job/no days off in 2 months or so. And then last week turned it on to see what it would do and it seemed fine. Last time I turned it on it did the same thing for an hour and then flashed the error. 

So I left it on but not using it, just switched on to see if the error would return. Smoke alarm went off in the garage and walked in to find the controller box/switch module making loud popping noises and lots of smoke coming out of the unit. 

I'm guessing whatever was wrong was more than just a transient error. 

I would go ahead and call Gregg at Keystone to get a sew quiet motor headed your direction. 

Not sure of your projects but these are plug n play motors.

http://www.keysew.com/

good day there

Floyd