Ben1234

Consew 206rb-5 Jam

Hello Everyone. 

I'm a greenhorn machine sewer... I have been doing my leatherwork by hand up until I bought a consew 206rb-5. The machine bound up the first time I used it with Groz-Beckert 135x16 - Size 140 / 22 - DH Point - a.k.a. DPx16 needle and Nylon - Size 138 - Sand (Fil-Tec) - Bonded - Nominal 2 thread. I followed instructions on how to thread the machine and bobbing but noticed that the thread was catching on the eye on the needle. At that moment, the machine stopped working. I looked in the bobbin case area and found a thread trapped. I noticed though that the bobbin finger was preventing the machine from rotating? I'm starting taking things apart to try to find the problem, which I never did.... help :). I am still not able to turn the machine around fully. I tried to push the button to reset too, but I cannot make the machine rotate whenI push the button. Suggestions are appreciated. I may have taken the machine out of time by now with all the parts that I've taken off to figure out where it is bound. 

Should be mentioned in the Consew 206 manual Page 14. ;)

206RB-5 Instruction Manual - Consew

206RB-5 Parts Book - Consew

The hook supporting plate (#4 see attached parts list page 14) has a small finger which holds the inner parts of the hook in place so the outer part can rotate. The small finger 0n #4 has to sit inside the notch (see pictures)

206 hook.jpg

IMG_0589.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

You have to get the notch & finger back in place & then rock the handwheel back & forth & it should unjam . 

Put some oil in the area where your finger is pointing,that will help it unjam easier.

Also be sure to hold on to your needle thread when you start to sew(first 3 stitches) esp w/the larger thread your using.

Thanks for the instructions. I fixed the jam problem :) So rewarding. 

I have a new problem now though. The bobbin thread is not being picked up from the needle. What should I adjust next. 

You should lower the presser feet before running that test. That will allow the top tension disks to tighten against the top thread.

Other things that can cause the thread to be picked up but not pulled all the way around include failure to thread through the take-up lever and failure to thread through the check spring. or timing that is slightly out due to the needle bar moving up from striking something hard and ungiving.

Thanks for the advise so much. I got it fixed. It was the hook timing that was off. 

I really like the top stitch, but the bottom stitch looks a little off to me. Is this normal? Look in particular at the stitch closest to the edge  

How thick is the leather?Sometimes to large a thread gives you problems on thinner leather because it isn't thick enough to hide the knot.

On 5/16/2017 at 1:24 AM, Constabulary said:

Should be mentioned in the Consew 206 manual Page 14. ;)

206RB-5 Instruction Manual - Consew

206RB-5 Parts Book - Consew

The hook supporting plate (#4 see attached parts list page 14) has a small finger which holds the inner parts of the hook in place so the outer part can rotate. The small finger 0n #4 has to sit inside the notch (see pictures)

206 hook.jpg

IMG_0589.JPG

I have a first series 206rb I just had serviced and it was running perfectly until it suddenly jammed today - I think there might be some thread caught up somewhere behind the bobbin case. (I'm using Nylon upholstery thread). I've been practicing on the machine and often see an unexplained short extra length of thread coming out of the bobbin thread hole. Not sure if this is me being sloppy and allowing threads from my practice pieces to be pulled down the hole and snapped or why this keeps happening. I tried to pull a piece of extra thread out with pliers but was unsuccessful after the machine suddenly locked up while I was practicing piping on naugahyde/vinyl. 

The safety disconnect hasn't gone off - I took the foot plates off but can't see anything unusual. It looks as though the bobbin case is impeded by the tab on the hook supporting plate - I can rock the wheel back and forth enough to see this, video below. I can get the bobbin case part way out but not all the way as the two spots are about 2 inches apart, so near yet so far!

Any clues on how to resolve this greatly appreciated  - the machine was running perfectly and I don't want to screw it up!

Edited by Northmount
Moved post to the correct position instead of being inside the quoted post