great job! that is on my list to make this summer. How did you measure out the front hole distance to the side hole distance?

28 minutes ago, kiwican said:

great job! that is on my list to make this summer. How did you measure out the front hole distance to the side hole distance?

Thanks!

For the holes it was easy.  I had her stand on the flip flops, marked with a pen between the first two toes (for the top hole) then used the same pen to mark the apex of the medial and lateral longitudinal arches.  Punched the holes.  Then we just put the straps through the top hole, sewed them down, then pulled them tight through the other holes till they were as tight as she wanted, marked them and sewed them to that length.  Then the padding and sole went on.

2 minutes ago, venator said:

Thanks!

For the holes it was easy.  I had her stand on the flip flops, marked with a pen between the first two toes (for the top hole) then used the same pen to mark the apex of the medial and lateral longitudinal arches.  Punched the holes.  Then we just put the straps through the top hole, sewed them down, then pulled them tight through the other holes till they were as tight as she wanted, marked them and sewed them to that length.  Then the padding and sole went on.

Thanks! I cant tell from the pics but did you counter sink the thread on the sole to avoid wear and tear?

2 minutes ago, kiwican said:

Thanks! I cant tell from the pics but did you counter sink the thread on the sole to avoid wear and tear?

No, but because it was machine stitched and the sole is quite soft the machine tension was enough to pull them well below the level of the walking surface.

I have some sole crepe I'm hoping it will do the same thing but I'm hand stitching

2 minutes ago, kiwican said:

I have some sole crepe I'm hoping it will do the same thing but I'm hand stitching

Well we got ours fron Tandy.

With hand stitching I'd just pull really tight. . .

Just now, venator said:

Well we got ours fron Tandy.

With hand stitching I'd just pull really tight. . .

Good thing I have lightning and thunder to call on then!

Just now, kiwican said:

Good thing I have lightning and thunder to call on then!

Haha.  Alternately you could try skiving the edge or grooving it.  Neither worked with this sole.

The other thing we did is because there's padding in between the layers we left the last 1/4" on the outside unpadded so the sole and leather pulled together.  This definitely buys some space from the walking surface, in combination with the thread tension I'm confident thread wear won't be a concern for a few years.