Windrider30

Question on blotch antique dye

I do enjoy using tandys antique dye love the colours but oncd in a while the leather will absorb more of thd dye in some spots and no amount of water will remove these blotches so the question is how do i either unblotch the spots or b stop it ftom happening in the first place?

I recently had an issue where my cat painted (with acrylic paint) footprints across I project I had just used Eco Flo antique on it.  I got the paint off using a damp magic eraser.  I found out it removes antique really well too.  Be careful though and use it lightly.  I had to scrub to get the dried paint off and it did damage the surface a bit.  The antique comes off much easier than the paint.  

One caveat here though, I had used a resolene blocker before applying the antique.  So it may not work as well on raw leather.

If you are not using a resist like Resolene or any of the lacquer type products, the leather may be absorbing more antique is some spots just based on differences in the firmness of the grain at those spots.  When that happens it's penetrating the leather so much that I doubt there is much you could do to remove it.

If you are using a resist, you likely had a spot where there wasn't enough of the resist and the antique penetrated it.  I've had this problem on several occasions and I recommend using a damp sponge to wipe the project after you've applied the resist.  If there are any gaps the leather will darken and you'll know you need another coat. 

3 hours ago, Bob Blea said:

If you are not using a resist like Resolene or any of the lacquer type products, the leather may be absorbing more antique is some spots just based on differences in the firmness of the grain at those spots.  When that happens it's penetrating the leather so much that I doubt there is much you could do to remove it.

If you are using a resist, you likely had a spot where there wasn't enough of the resist and the antique penetrated it.  I've had this problem on several occasions and I recommend using a damp sponge to wipe the project after you've applied the resist.  If there are any gaps the leather will darken and you'll know you need another coat. 

Yeah i have had that problem with a resists before  as well that annoys me but this time not using a resist I thought it might have just absorbed to much. Was hoping there might be a way to unblotch it but its not to bad only in a few small areas

7 hours ago, cjartist said:

I recently had an issue where my cat painted (with acrylic paint) footprints across I project I had just used Eco Flo antique on it.  I got the paint off using a damp magic eraser.  I found out it removes antique really well too.  Be careful though and use it lightly.  I had to scrub to get the dried paint off and it did damage the surface a bit.  The antique comes off much easier than the paint.  

One caveat here though, I had used a resolene blocker before applying the antique.  So it may not work as well on raw leather.

ohh thank you for the idea of using a damp magic eraser may just have to try that one some scrap just to see!!