FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_7184.JPG

IMG_7185.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

IMG_7187.JPG

IMG_7188.JPG

IMG_7190.JPG

Edited by GrayHallidayJr

Just, -  man.  You have it going on.  Awesome.

YinTx

I gotta say, I love your style. It is very reminiscent of the late 60's indy comics, like the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

2 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

It is very reminiscent of the late 60's indy comics, like the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

Thanks on the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers compliment! The 3rd leather project I ever did was a Freak Bros belt, almost three years ago. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by GrayHallidayJr

I'm guessing you know the Haight Ashbury section of Cali? Probably not from the 60's though...

I love to see your work.Your style is so cool. I make guitar straps also, and i think our dream is to see one worn on stage by a prominent artist. Congratulations. Perhaps my dream will become true one day. 

6 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

I'm guessing you know the Haight Ashbury section of Cali? Probably not from the 60's though...

I spent 8 summers in Berkeley and got to know that era's art really well. I have a small collection of that Family Dog style stuff. Stanley Mouse and Rick Griffin are my favorites. Big influences, definitely. But Freak Brothers was from a Texas guy, if memory serves. I spent a year in Austin once too.

Thanks, Bodean! I'm really excited about it, I'm a fan of the Foo Fighters. There was definitely some pressure (from myself) to create something special. I typically don't have the words, "Don't screw it up. Don't screw  it up. Don't screw it up." ringing in my head so much. So much. 

I got an invite to present it in person, which is pretty cool. It's a big honor. I'm really humbled by it. Honestly, I think most top musicians would love a guitar strap that you made. The hard part is getting it in front of them and making that connection. I'm lucky, I guess. 

And modest. Until I start flexing. Haha. 

Edited by GrayHallidayJr

Gray, I am in awe of your talent. Your style is unique, but based in classic western style. Your carving and coloring are fantastic. 

Hay man the eyes are folowin me man.    Nice work, I love it.

I really like how each of your characters has his/her own look and not a copy of the last one you did.  That says talent for sure!

On 6/28/2017 at 8:25 PM, Sofaspud said:

Gray, I am in awe of your talent. Your style is unique, but based in classic western style. Your carving and coloring are fantastic. 

Thank you, Sofaspud! I appreciate it.

On 6/28/2017 at 10:45 PM, JD62 said:

Hay man the eyes are folowin me man.    Nice work, I love it.

Thank you! It's a nice feeling when Mona Lisa's eyes are following you around the room. On the other hand, it loosens my stool when a creepy bandito's (fingering a trigger attached to an elongated barrel) eyes are following me. Stool loosening, it's just the effect I'm going for as an artist. In that way, I'm like the Yoko Ono of cowboy art.

On 6/29/2017 at 10:24 AM, CTaylorJr said:

I really like how each of your characters has his/her own look and not a copy of the last one you did.  That says talent for sure!

Thank you! I've always been into trying to capture facial expressions. Art snobs poo-poo Norman Rockwell, but I absolutely love how he captured human emotion expressed in the face. It's a challenge for any artist. I sometimes do cowboy characters with the face of the intended recipient in the leather work on my belts or guitar straps. Sometimes the faces are just random drifters or banditos, faces I see down at the saddlery or who have crossed my path through the years. It will take me about six times before I remember a name, but I can draw a face I haven't seen for 15 years from memory. My results will always be a bit cartoon-like in style, but it captures an essence of character.

Love it!