Utilatu00

how to even out hand sew

Hi,all.Newbie doing a lot of small projecst.My question:On wallet/folding item.Outer piece is longer(more punch holes..exp..25 hole outside to sew to 23 holes inside  piece..) is how to NOT skip/double sewn when match togetther?Hope someone here give out the wisdom.Thanks for your time either way.

a 23 hole inner and a 24 hole outer is still ok in my opinion - the extra stitch can be added to the last hole, but two extra holes in the end... hmmm i think will look sloppy.. in that position, i would cut out the last hole into a curve instead of adding a stitch to it.

The outer piece of a wallet is intentionally made longer so that it will fold around the bulk of the inner pieces.  There are a few ways to sew the outer shell and inner parts together:

1.  Sew down both outside edges top to bottom then in toward the center, only as far as the pockets go and use NO stitch holes for both inside and outside for the fold section, and end your stitch line there.  This is probably the most practical solution, but some people don't like the way it looks where the stitch line is interrupted on the outside.

2.  If you want that stitch line to continue on the outside for appearance, go ahead and punch holes all along the outer piece sides and bottom.  Sew down one side and across the bottom to the point where the pockets end for that side.  Now, at the last hole for the pocket part before where the fold is located, bring your needles through the outside part only - you'll have to work the needles between the two pieces, but its only a few stitches - then bring the needles back through to both parts where the second pockets begin and continue around the rest of the way.  If the inside holes are already punched, or if you just feel it looks incomplete you can put a separate short stitch line there.

It's not as complicated as it sounds - just hard to put in words!  A quick video or some pictures would make it very clear but alas I don't have those readily available.  I have a wallet on my project list, but there are a couple of big projects ahead of it - I'll try to take some pictures when the time comes.  I might even make a video and post it - If I don't receive too much flak for posting something on youtube.

Hope that helps!

Bill

Hi.ALL.Thanks for any guidance.In my situation,do not think it resolved(Making curved cigarette lighter pouch.Outside is masked with even stiches then cross-over to inside holes but do not like the pull).Always,learn something new in here.Take care