Engine1

Tricks of the triad for storage

Hello, 

my home based leather shop has grown tremendously this year. While it has been nice I've found my self short on place to put everything and unable to keep everything organized I was curious as to how some of you with limited shop space keep your shops clean and organized 

I've got a enclosed car trailer that i built my shop in so like you space is limited.. what I've done that has helped a lot is making different stations for each part of the process (cutting, casing, tooling, finishing) and then put the tools and materials i need for that specific step right at that station in easily accessible racks or drawers. it has kept me from constantly running around looking for tools and makes it easy to put them up when I'm done which keeps everything clean. as far as materials i only keep what i need in the shop...i found that having a lot of hides around makes it hard to find what I'm looking for and it has a greater chance of ruining the them.

Every now and then I get a few moments (and some help) to clean up the shop. Sometimes it helps to have a dedicated cleaning day. I usually try to do a very good straightening up after one or two batches of orders. Two things that have helped a lot is that all the big stuff is on wheels and can be moved, and this hardware organizer I bought. It has 192 removable bins and keeps me from having the smaller organizers all over the place. One half has strap hardware, and the other side has dog collar hardware. Downside is that it was pretty pricey. 

16388113_1678855812412041_7361376824378581456_n.jpg

I see you had your cleaning ladies in on the day you took the photo. :):)

I have 2 similar that I am trying to educate the "RIGHT" (leather) way! :deadsubject: They're good kids, but electronic gizmo batteries last too long IMHO!

9 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

I see you had your cleaning ladies in on the day you took the photo. :):)

I have 2 similar that I am trying to educate the "RIGHT" (leather) way! :deadsubject: They're good kids, but electronic gizmo batteries last too long IMHO!

Indeed they do! I employed the help during set up day. They routinely come in and ask to sweep the shop which is greatly appreciated. Sometimes they saddle up to the bench with a scrap or two and grab some smaller stamps and pound away. It's fun to watch them get even their toes wet learning something with their old man. 

They are beautiful.

Jim