matthewb137

Painting Small Letters

So to start off, I've never been a painter. Ever. I've been trying to paint 1/2" stamped letters with Angelus Leather Acrylics. I'm using a Round 1 brush and I can't keep it from getting into the outlines of the letter. Any tips? Or how I can maybe clean off the acrylic after painting? Without leaving a stain on the Red Dyed leather?

Maybe try laying some of the blue painter's tape over the letters, and cut out what you need to paint. You'd effectively be making a stencil, or in your case, a shield.

That's actually a great idea! I didn't even think of that. I'll have to try it. 

My man.... I would switch to needle tip bottle applicators around the 20 gauge needle size. If you have some run off into the embossing of the leather, a little bit of black paint will blend in on black straps. Other colors you might be SOL. I try to be 10x more careful painting other lighter colored projects. BTW needle tip applicators run from 18 gauge to 25 gauge depending on the amount of detail you want to do with them. 

On 7/25/2017 at 10:55 PM, JerseyFirefighter said:

My man.... I would switch to needle tip bottle applicators around the 20 gauge needle size. If you have some run off into the embossing of the leather, a little bit of black paint will blend in on black straps. Other colors you might be SOL. I try to be 10x more careful painting other lighter colored projects. BTW needle tip applicators run from 18 gauge to 25 gauge depending on the amount of detail you want to do with them. 

I've been looking around for them, but can't seem to find any with varying sizes. Do you remember where you found yours? My next step is to snag a couple IV Catheters (18G - 24G) and a 5mL syringe off the ambulance and try that... 

You really just need to take your time with it.   I would use an even smaller brush, like a 0 or 00.  It also wouldn't hurt to have a clean second brush that is wet, handy to mop up any overrun as soon as it happens.  

I'll have to see if I overlooked those smaller brushes in the store. The second brush will actually pick it up and not smear it or anything at all?

6 minutes ago, matthewb137 said:

I'll have to see if I overlooked those smaller brushes in the store. The second brush will actually pick it up and not smear it or anything at all?

Yeah, that has been my experience.  Use that brush to pick up the paint and then wipe it off the brush right away so its ready for the next "oops: :)

16 hours ago, matthewb137 said:

I've been looking around for them, but can't seem to find any with varying sizes. Do you remember where you found yours? My next step is to snag a couple IV Catheters (18G - 24G) and a 5mL syringe off the ambulance and try that... 

Ebay. some bottles come with needle tips... I have found that buying bottles that have removeable tips are best. Buy a few assorted needle tip sizes too. Use 1/2" long needles. 1" put your wrist in a weird position to paint. 

Thanks for the tip Jersey. I'll have to browse around when I get into work. 

If you apply liberal amounts of paint to the lettering depressions then wipe the excess away with a square sponge or towel on a block, it leaves paint in the depression. Similar to applying antiquing paste.

3 hours ago, Bonecross said:

If you apply liberal amounts of paint to the lettering depressions then wipe the excess away with a square sponge or towel on a block, it leaves paint in the depression. Similar to applying antiquing paste.

That would not work with outlining paint. It works with dyeing and leaving darker outlines. As you wipe away flexible acrylic it smears everywhere and absorbs near instantly into the fibers of the leather. The only luck I have had personally with removing paint on leather is to wipe clean with a wet paper towel in the event of a big *oops* where the point would be to wipe the paint clean. The OP was looking on the best ways to fill in the letters without leaking into the embossment (outlines) of the letters. 

I'd say i've painted somewhere between 10-20k characters in the past few years.. Repetition will always create a better technique. My biggest pain has always been air bubbles. A good propane torch also cures those woes as well. 

Haven't had a run-in with air bubbles yet. My current technique is to just dab quite a bit into the bigger parts of the letters, then drag that paint I dabbed to other parts of the letter. It's worked well so far. But of course I usually end up getting it into the outline here and there. It's fine if it's a tiny bit, I just let it dry and use a scratch awl to get it off. But if it's a bigger smear, I learned the hard way that pretty much ruins the project... oops. 

On 7/27/2017 at 3:42 PM, JerseyFirefighter said:

Ebay. some bottles come with needle tips... I have found that buying bottles that have removeable tips are best. Buy a few assorted needle tip sizes too. Use 1/2" long needles. 1" put your wrist in a weird position to paint. 

like these?   http://www.ebay.com/itm/BCP-10pcs-30ml-Needle-Tip-Glue-applicator-Dropper-Bottles-for-DIY-Handmade-Paper-/122592906282?epid=2123087205&hash=item1c8b1b4c2a:g:kCAAAOSw-ldZZIRX

I don't understand how you paint with a needle...

I have tried ultra fine point sharpies with some success.

Edited by retiredff

57 minutes ago, retiredff said:

like these?   http://www.ebay.com/itm/BCP-10pcs-30ml-Needle-Tip-Glue-applicator-Dropper-Bottles-for-DIY-Handmade-Paper-/122592906282?epid=2123087205&hash=item1c8b1b4c2a:g:kCAAAOSw-ldZZIRX

http://m.ebay.com/itm/6-NEEDLE-TIP-APPLICATOR-BOTTLES-4-MICRO-TIP-SET-Great-For-Henna-/192032880342?epid=1331380619&hash=item2cb60d36d6%3Ag%3A-g0AAOSw44BYMfdf&_trkparms=pageci%3Ab5a34e44-9683-11e7-ae47-74dbd180c0ce%7Cparentrq%3A6e3965d115e0ab4d6d3827b8ffeabc13%7Ciid%3A12

I ended up buying these. Absolutely buy these ASAP. They're like a dream. Trust me. The IV Catheters I used off the ambulance didn't come close to these. 

OK, I'll take your word for them. I just ordered some. Any tips for using them?

Thanks

Tony

When you get them, cut 4 of the tips down about 1/2 an inch. Screw the 4 micro tips over the top. You're going to get a bunch of little metal rods, I'm almost positive you use those to clean out the tips. Or you throw them in the tips to keep the paint from drying out. Haven't used those rods yet so don't quote me on that. Just pour a little bit of paint in the bottle. Give it just a light, consistent squeeze and you're good to go. Just try not to let it sit in one spot once you squeeze it, keep it moving or else it'll spread in that spot. Use the smallest tip for 1/4 inch letters. 

OK, thanks Matt.

3 hours ago, retiredff said:

I have a few of those. They are a little more difficult to squeeze the bottle and no ability to change needle gauges, but they work. I have a hard time finding the ones I use most regularly, but the tips are still available. How do I paint with a needle bottle?

Like this. 

These seem to be it I remember them coming with extra needle sizes, however the colors of the tips are different. I ordered a few to see if those are actually them. You can buy replacement needles relatively cheap in the event your needles clog up on you. You can either clean the needles after each use, or find ways to get the paint to not dry in the needle while not in use. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Needle-Tip-Plastic-Bottle-Dispenser-Oil-Solvent-Ink-Applicator-Dropper-0-7-Oz-/361533543355?

8 hours ago, JerseyFirefighter said:

I have a few of those. They are a little more difficult to squeeze the bottle and no ability to change needle gauges, but they work. I have a hard time finding the ones I use most regularly, but the tips are still available. How do I paint with a needle bottle?

Like this. 

Thanks for the video, that explains it much better. Somehow painting with a needle didn't register with me.

8 hours ago, JerseyFirefighter said:

These seem to be it I remember them coming with extra needle sizes, however the colors of the tips are different. I ordered a few to see if those are actually them. You can buy replacement needles relatively cheap in the event your needles clog up on you. You can either clean the needles after each use, or find ways to get the paint to not dry in the needle while not in use. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Needle-Tip-Plastic-Bottle-Dispenser-Oil-Solvent-Ink-Applicator-Dropper-0-7-Oz-/361533543355?

These are out of stock. I'll try these if the seller has them in stock again. 

Thanks for the info

Stay safe BRO!

Tony

Retired Speedway Indiana FireFighter 

1972-2000

4 hours ago, retiredff said:

Thanks for the video, that explains it much better. Somehow painting with a needle didn't register with me.

Also what brand of paint do you use in the bottles? I have plenty of Angelus paints.

Is the paint thinned or straight?

THX

39 minutes ago, retiredff said:

Also what brand of paint do you use in the bottles? I have plenty of Angelus paints.

Is the paint thinned or straight?

THX

I use angelus myself. I've had good results. And the cost isn't bad. Personally, I don't thin it. It's usually thinned for airbrushed. Although I'd like to try it thinned at some point with the bottles. 

I have used it with an airbrush. It needs thinned! About 1-4 works for most testing I have done maybe 1-3 will work (paint to thinner).

Thanks for the reply's

Tony