hagartyman

Techsew 180 bobbin tension?

I purchased a Techsew 180 and it does great with sewing 2 layers of 5+ ounces of leather. I am now trying to sew 2 layers of 2-3 ounce leather and the knots are right at the top. I have backed the tension off all that I can on top but cannot locate a bobbin tension adjustment. Can anyone please help?

I am using t135 thread with a 22 needle.

20170720_201813.jpg

Did you not get a manual with the machine? There's almost nothing available online for that machine. 

@Techsew Ron is your guy for definitive answers and hopefully manuals.

Based on an ancient video snippet on youtube, I'm guessing the shuttle hook is very similar if not identical to that of the Juki TSC-441 or Adler 205 class. Both have an adjustment screw for bobbin tension:

bobbin tension.jpg

Depending on how old the machine is, the pressure plate for the bobbin tension may have a groove worn into it from the thread. If it has a groove you may not be able to adjust bobbin tension anymore. A new pressure plate or whole new hook may be in order. 

I covered how to adjust bobbin tension in a video for the Adler 205 class (starting at the 14:39 mark). Your shuttle hook bobbin case may or may not have the lock screw shown in the video. 

Edited by Uwe

Uwe thank you very much for your time and help!  It is greatly appreciated.  My machine does not have a set screw but it does have the adjustment screw.   Unfortunately it was already as tight as it goes and still is pulling very easily from the bobbin.  I am the second owner but the machine has less than 20 hours on it and I can't understand why I am unable to get it to have more tension.  Perhaps as you recommend I will need to order a new pressure plate.  I will fiddle with it some more to see if I can do anything to help

The manual has nothing in it on setting the bobbin tension, only on how to put in the bobbin.    

Again many many thanks!

1 hour ago, hagartyman said:

Uwe thank you very much for your time and help!  It is greatly appreciated.  My machine does not have a set screw but it does have the adjustment screw.   Unfortunately it was already as tight as it goes and still is pulling very easily from the bobbin.  I am the second owner but the machine has less than 20 hours on it and I can't understand why I am unable to get it to have more tension.  Perhaps as you recommend I will need to order a new pressure plate.  I will fiddle with it some more to see if I can do anything to help

The manual has nothing in it on setting the bobbin tension, only on how to put in the bobbin.    

Again many many thanks!

You should definitely contact Techsew and see if they will send you a replacement bobbin case tension spring. Techsew is an advertiser here and offers excellent product support.

If the pressure plate does not have a channel worn into it on the underside then you may be able to simply remove the pressure spring and bend it down a slight bit in the middle. That should allow it to better squeeze the thread for improved bobbin thread tension control. It's worth a try.

Edited by Uwe

Uwe and Wizcraft thank you very much. I attempted it with maximum adjustment as well as bending it with no positive response.  I slipped a small piece of paper into the bobbin shaft to cause a bit of friction and it added enough that I was able to get the correct tension but it is not consistent.   I will contact Techsew to try to get a replacement. 

Again many thanks, you guys are great!

On 7/21/2017 at 6:24 PM, hagartyman said:

Uwe and Wizcraft thank you very much. I attempted it with maximum adjustment as well as bending it with no positive response.  I slipped a small piece of paper into the bobbin shaft to cause a bit of friction and it added enough that I was able to get the correct tension but it is not consistent.   I will contact Techsew to try to get a replacement. 

Again many thanks, you guys are great!

Hi, please send us an email to support@techsew.com and we'll look into this for you.

Ron