MarkCdub

Accounting for leather stretch

Hey everyone, I am just starting out and am designing a tool pouch for my work tools.  I carry them in a pouch that hangs from my belt.  The pouch I have is too bulky and cause my tools to get hung up on latter cages and when squeezing through tight spots.  One thing I have noticed is that when new, my tools fit snuggly in the pouch but after a few months they have become loose.  My question is, do y'all have any advice on how to take that stretch into consideration when making a "form fitted" pouch?  Or should I just design each slot with a strap and snap around the top similar to many fixed blade knife sheaths?

Most veg tanned leather will stretch a bit or loosen with heavy use.  I've inserted a piece of leather in formed knife sheaths, with a bit of glue or double-sided tape to hold, to tighten up the space.  The owner had oiled the hell out of it and the leather softened.  --John

Thanks John, I have noticed a slight amount of loosening on my mass produced tool pouch, but nothing too extreme.  I just did not want to go through the hastle of form fitting to fit my tools if they were just going to end up flopping around like they do right now.

Another thing occurred to me.  Some parts of the hide stretch more than others, e.g. belly leather.  Butt and back stretch least.  --John

One thing you might consider is slicking your leather before you mold/shape the leather. You can also slightly harder the leather to mitigate some of the stretchiness. (I'm assuming you're using veg tanned)

The hardening process is pretty short and straightforward: When soaking the leather to do the molding/shaping, use warmer water. The warmer the water, the more the leather will harden/stiffen. You'll need to experiment with different temp water to get a feel for how much your leather will harden/stiffen with various temp -- each hide will respond slightly different.

I used to have a lot of questions about the slicking process and I'm still experimenting to learn how to do it better but here's what I've learned so far: When you get the piece wet for the molding/shaping, before you begin molding, you can lay the piece on a hard flat surface and use a rounded and smoothed flat edge of a heavy piece of glass or hardwood block/plank to press/squeeze the excess water out of the leather. Doing this compresses the leather fibers, smooths the grain by closing pours and flattening irregularities, can slightly stiffen the leather, and (most importantly for you) pre-stretches the leather.

Btw, slicking veg tanned leather, as part of your casing process (see Hidepounder's post on casing, if needed), is also a GREAT way to improve consistency in how the leather behaves and responds for carving, stamping, and dying.

I'm hopeful that some of the more experienced folks will chime-in to clarify and expand my explanation. 

Good luck and make sure to post pictures of the final product!