teresamwong

high fashion handbag - hair on hide - marketing advice

I've made a couple of handbags from this original design of mine - all with calf hair on hide. They are popular with women who want high fashion and originality. I would love to get this bag (and few others) into a retail shop. I've contacted a half-dozen retail shops, some are kind and actually talk to me and give feedback. Others I can not get to respond. My attempts have been in person, via email, line sheets deliveries, etc.

The handbag is 20 inches at bottom, 11 inches at top. Zippered pocket and open pocket inside.

Appreciate any advice --- and / or comments on the bag.

Thanks, Teresa

AngularModel4-3w.jpg

AngularModel4-2w.jpg

AngularModel4-1w.jpg

BlackAngularModel5-6w.jpg

Why not set up your own etsy store? Love the bag!!

Mike: Thanks for the comments. Agree those rivets could be better aligned!

The retail price is $500. Asking 50% wholesale. I know this is on the high end.... but I believe it is doable. Most of my bags are considerably less than this one... more in the $25O to 3OO range.

I already have my own website (shopmariejay.com) and an Etsy site too. Etsy is filled with people looking for ideas of what to make themsleves. There are not a lot of buyers on the site. I have been on Etsy for years with another shop selling fabric tote bags. I have made 2 sales of leather handbags through Etsy. I am also active on Facebook and Instagram.

On my website and my direct retail sales, I have gotten many custom orders. Those are quite successful as women love having a purse made exactly like they want it. Most are willing to pay for it too.

I am buying the leather and hides at several places. The calf hides I get at Tandy for $65 per hide. I love the softness and I prefer the smaller hide so I can have a large variety of color. Any suggestions on where to get quality calf hides cheaper would be great. Do you sell these?

Thank for both replies to my post! I appreciate your time and attention!

Teresa

Have you approached high end hotels that have there own boutique stores located inside the hotel itself ?

Hi. Hotels is a good idea. Thanks!

Mike: I would love to purchase your scrap hide at $2 a pound! That is a great deal. I do use small parts and make small bags from scraps. I will get back to you next month or so. Thanks so much for the offer!

Teresa