teresamwong

do you recommend tumbling nat veg tan?

I'm a handbag designer and maker. Occassionally I like to sew with nat veg tan leather. I love the patina it develops over time. However, as you know, it can be stiff at first and difficult to shape without wetting it etc. Last week I was at a new leather store and the owner showed me some beautiful nat veg tan hides. He offered to tumble it for me so it would be softer. I accepted. I have never bought any leather that has been tumbled so I thouhgt it would be interesting.

The leather was shipped to me and it is definitely softer. However, it is filled with wrinkles. I assume these will relax with time. Is that correct?

Does anyone recommend tumbling this type of leather? My hide is 3-4 oz. I have to admit it is nice and soft and easier to sew so far. I'm just worried about the how the wrinkles look, compared to that super smooth look of the natural hide.

Thoughts?

Teresa

I have bought tumbled leather from Hermann Oak in natural veg tan.  It is soft and pliable, no real wrinkles to speak of.  Almost like a chrome tan, but looks and acts like veg tan when taking dyes, finishes, etc.  A photo of your sample would help...

YinTx

What you are describing sounds like what they call milled leather.  It is very soft and supple but any attempt to smooth it out will likely make it stiff again.  The stuff I have worked with has a pebbled grain surface.  i would be interested to see the Hermann Oak veg tan that YinTx mentioned.  Any pics of that Yin?

Hi. Thanks for the comments. I've attached a photo. It is difficult to show the wrinkles with a low res photo.

This leather is definitely not milled... its regular natural veg tan.

I have read about tumbling before. I think that a lot of the manufacturers do this to soften leather.

YinTx - thanks for the comment about Hermann Oak. I might call the owner of the store and ask if the wrinkles are normal... or if they can be avoided. Maybe next time I will purchase direct from Hermann Oak..

Teresa

wrinkled-veg-tan.jpg

Flexing veg tan top side to top side creates wrinkles and pebbles.  I do this occasionally to add character, especially when antiquing. The harder you roll the fold over back and forth the more pebbling you get. Not all veg tans react equally.

That tumbling is quite different to the milled leather I've purchased.

Gives it a much more distressed look to me.