I think the Fenice edge paints sold by Campbell Randall are all compatible with hot glazing.  They are sold in 1 liter bottles.  I've been using their Fenice Colorfast dye "with added waxes" on the edge of bridle leather and been very happy with the penetration and durability for tack.  I don't think the Colorfast dye is compatible with glazing but it gives a nice edge IMO. 

I recently learned about applying beeswax with burnishing iron/edge iron in an article by Cary Schwarz in the May 2022 Shop Talk magazine.  Has anyone had experience with this?  I aim to try it on bridles and halters.  The edge irons are hard to find so I ordered a brass "lollipop burnisher" from Duane Watts. 

2 hours ago, TomE said:

I think the Fenice edge paints sold by Campbell Randall are all compatible with hot glazing.  They are sold in 1 liter bottles.  I've been using their Fenice Colorfast dye "with added waxes" on the edge of bridle leather and been very happy with the penetration and durability for tack.  I don't think the Colorfast dye is compatible with glazing but it gives a nice edge IMO. 

Thanks for that feedback @TomE.What you see in this video is along the line of how I have done edge painting for many years now ....but ...This video was done in 2014 and the paint used then they do not stock now. There is a column shown that says Shiny and the stock shows 0. That is the range that I use. I made the mistake of buying in a fairly large order from them not realising that the P on the end of the product number makes it a pretty much un ironable paint. They may be able to still order it in but I think they have to get like 20 litres at a time per colour. I get through my contacts 20 litres of the clear AR 6350 made up to which I mix in pigments (10%+ -) that I have bought from a tanning supply place over here. This way I can easily mix any colour to suit my job. May sound excessive to many but when you mostly do expensive crocodile products it keeps you ahead of the competition.

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Thanks for that feedback @TomE.What you see in this video is along the line of how I have done edge painting for many years now ....but ...This video was done in 2014 and the paint used then they do not stock now. There is a column shown that says Shiny and the stock shows 0. That is the range that I use. I made the mistake of buying in a fairly large order from them not realising that the P on the end of the product number makes it a pretty much un ironable paint. They may be able to still order it in but I think they have to get like 20 litres at a time per colour. I get through my contacts 20 litres of the clear AR 6350 made up to which I mix in pigments (10%+ -) that I have bought from a tanning supply place over here. This way I can easily mix any colour to suit my job. May sound excessive to many but when you mostly do expensive crocodile products it keeps you ahead of the competition.

That sounds like a robust solution.  For the Fenice Glossy PLUS edge paints they mention using a hot glazing tool in the description but I may misunderstand the application.   I've read about edge stain recipes for tack that include wallpaper paste, pearl glue, or PVA glue.  Seems everyone has their special sauce.  I'm hoping that beeswax applied with an edge iron will create a durable seal.