Kohnke

What leathers can be incorporated into Hot Rod upholstery?

I am a trimmer, and have a upholstery shop. I am very interested in learning how to incorporate custom leather into my work.  1. What kind of leather can I use? Hard, soft, thick thin,  pig, cow, deer,  Beaver, Ostrich ? 2. Where do I find leathers to buy to use? 3. What options for making designs are there?  I like rich-luxuery looks to,  rustic western,  to elite and custom designs. I have a Adler 067-GK-373 machine that will sew up to 1/2" of hard leather, but have never tried it. I would like any and all info I can get.  TY, Stichin' designs by John.

Not knowing where you are located, I'm not sure this will be much help, but the Hide House in Napa, California is a great place to find a variety of upholstery leather. Wide selection of colors and types of leather.

8 hours ago, Kohnke said:

1. What kind of leather can I use? Hard, soft, thick thin,  pig, cow, deer,  Beaver, Ostrich ?

1. Two questions there

a; any type you want to use, from any animal. The more exotic the animal the harder to get leather and more expensive it is. But leather from some animals is forbidden

b. Soft leather. Soft leather can be thick or thin.  Harder [stiffer] leather can be wet molded to make features on doorcards or dashes, or even a head-lining

2. Where do I find leathers to buy to use?

2. Tandy keeps some. Sometimes they have leather that looks like its from snake or alligator, but its a lot cheaper. If you search on here you may find a list of leather sellers closer to where you are

3. What options for making designs are there?  I like rich-luxuery looks to,  rustic western,  to elite and custom designs.

3. What do you mean by this? More explanation please. For patterns just cut card or heavy weight paper or whatever,  just whatever you do for cloth