I am wanting to learn how to do better handles for my baskets, I started making handles about 8 years ago from leather but stopped back in 2013 when I went back to school and got a job.  I am back to trying to build my baskets back up to where they had been a few years ago but I really want to be able to make some quality leather handles and purse straps for them.   Looking forward to absorbing as much information from this forum as I can.

Leather handles.png

basket with handles.png

That's cool! Nigel Armitage's on YouTube has a good tutorial on making bag handles. I'm not sure if it's the style you want. I believe they are rolled handles. But what your doing is simple and effective. Nothing wrong with that. Basket looks good too! 

From a military standpoint, Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Love where you have started. Don't worry about getting fancy. That will come. Love the baskets by the way!

15 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

That's cool! Nigel Armitage's on YouTube has a good tutorial on making bag handles. I'm not sure if it's the style you want. I believe they are rolled handles. But what your doing is simple and effective. Nothing wrong with that. Basket looks good too! 

I will definitely check out those tutorials.  In the past I have always done flat type straps,  the rolled would be nice but I do not have a sewing machine for leather and I don't think hand stitching would  be cost effective.  Thank you  for the compliment!

10 hours ago, x101airborne said:

From a military standpoint, Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Love where you have started. Don't worry about getting fancy. That will come. Love the baskets by the way!

Thank you!  The handles have always been basic but I have wanted to start smoothing the edging and doing some small tooling details on them.   I have also started weaving in a strap of leather into the basket, it really looks good and the different textures compliment each other.   In the past I have always rounded the ends with my basket scissors, I just purchased a set of end cutters to do some nice rounded ends.  Typically on this basket I have always used  a set of oak side load handles, I wanted to do some heavy leather ones that would actually act as a design focal point.  Once stained I think the basket will look awesome!

I also suggest you check out the rolled handle concept.  Hand stitching handles that size would take that much time to do.

You mentioned tooling.  I think if you were to continue with the flat handles, just adding a bit of detail by using an edge creaser and some antique would work well to bump up the details without too much work or expense.

Your baskets look great.  How long does it take you to make something that size?  I would think you could do well with that type of nearly-lost handmade craft.

Cj artist is right. Wouldn't take long to stitch them. Nigel doesn't use a machine either.

As far as tooling ideas there are tons of neat geometric patterns you can do with different stamps. There's even a basket weave stamp that offers several possibilities. A simple crease would look nice too. 

Have you ever considered braiding handles? Just another idea. You can even try the mystery braid. That would allow you to have solid ends to rivet to the basket just a thought 

22 hours ago, cjartist said:

I also suggest you check out the rolled handle concept.  Hand stitching handles that size would take that much time to do.

You mentioned tooling.  I think if you were to continue with the flat handles, just adding a bit of detail by using an edge creaser and some antique would work well to bump up the details without too much work or expense.

Your baskets look great.  How long does it take you to make something that size?  I would think you could do well with that type of nearly-lost handmade craft.

I will definitely check out the rolled handle and see how it works out, I love weaving but having different things to do that compliment the baskets helps to break up the monotony of just weaving.  I think that the edge-ing detail will look really nice, I will try that one and one other that I have been researching. 

There is about 4 hours in the basket and that includes the wood base for the basket, Yes I do all of my own wooden bases for my baskets. 

19 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Have you ever considered braiding handles? Just another idea. You can even try the mystery braid. That would allow you to have solid ends to rivet to the basket just a thought 

The mystery braid is one that I have been looking at, I think that it would really look awesome on the baskets.  I found some great tutorials on you tube.

Thank you so much for the ideas!!