CenricVig

Making a Leather paste/antique finish

If this has been covered and someone knows were the thread might be posted please share. I have tried searching the matrix and this forum, no luck as of yet.

What I am wanting to do is thicken Fiebing's Oxblood in to a paste/and or antique finish. I like Fiebing's paste finishes and would love to have it in oxblood. Does anyone know of a method for making a paste base that I can add my oxblood dye to or other sprite/oil dyes to?

Thanks in advance...

I don 't believe you will be able to thicken a spirit dye:  you will likely just get dark dye or crystals.  I''ve not done it, but you can use the spirit dyes in the neutral Fiebing's antique paste, as shown in this tutorial, way down in the weeds:

To save you some time reading CitizenKate's lengthy and fantastic tutorial, here is what she said:

"Thanks for the kind words, all... I'm glad to know you are finding it useful.
LeatherBum, for antiquing, I use the following recipe:
1/2 cup Tan Kote
1/8 cup neutral Fiebings antique paste
10 eyedroppers-full of spirit dye (any color you like); you can adjust this amount depending on how much color you want.
Most of the time I use medium brown dye, but you can use different colored dyes to make just about any color of antique you want.
I mix this up and put it in a squirt bottle; it makes a creamy liquid that I can just squirt onto my project and wipe into the tooled impressions with paper towels. When I wipe it off, I wipe flat over the surface, so that what is in the impressions stays there.
I also try to make fairly deep impressions with the pair shader."

I've also read others say never to mix Tan Kote with antique paste... so maybe just the paste and the dye?

Best of luck.

YinTx

Wow. Is this forum cool, or what!?

YinTx,

Thank you for the information and your reply.  I did not think about Fiebing's neutral antique paste, looking at their web page does no justice to the color swatches as the neutral looks a bit pinkish. I'll grab me some neutral antique paste and give it a go..