RemingtonSteel

New to CAS and Leatherworking

Hello to All,

I got interested in CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) about three months back and joined SASS (Single Action Shooting Society)  two months ago.  I am trying to gear up and have been looking at double holster rigs designed specifically for the sport.  There are many beautiful rigs out there, and all come with a hefty price tag to match their quality. I was also looking at Cowboy Cuffs, and thought I could make those. Not long after that thought came the next which was, if I was going to buy some leather tool and supplies, I might as well make my holster rig as well and save some money.

Well I just got done purchasing some basic tool, and am making a list of additional tools that I might need.  Turns out by the time I buy the books, tools, equipment, and leather, I am not going to save any money at all.:(  Well at least I will have the satisfaction of making my own gear.

I am wondering this though:  Am I the only one here stupid enough to take on two expensive hobbies at the same time?   Oh and I forgot to mention that while at the local antique mall last Saturday, I found and purchased a late 1800s J. D. Randall Company saddle stitching horse.

Remington Steel.

No Steel, I guess you're about as smart as the rest of us. I did about the same thing - took up horses, got married, and started leather work all at about the same time.  While to marriage wasn't necessarily that expensive, the divorce which led up to it sure was.  I started making my own gear because I didn't like to price for relative quality that I saw.  Now my gear doesn't cost a lot less, but the quality is much higher (IMHO) and I can off-set a bit of my investment by making for others,  They get what they are wanting and I pay for some of my costs and still get to do my own stuff. Everyone wins. 

Nope, I think you are in the same place as many people on this forum (and most "makers"). 

Given the global manufacturing and distribution markets, it is rate to find anything you make yourself to save money. The cost of supplies, on a small scale, let alone labor, is just too high. As cowboycolonel pointed out, though, you can produce much higher-quality items, to your exact specifications, than those currently readily available. In addition, yours will be one-of-a-kind, and not be made under duress, in poor conditions, with cut-rate materials. 

And congratulations on the stitching horse, it sounds wonderful. That's another thing on my "someday" list....

- Elizabeth

I like the old stuff too, but once again, you can make you own. Not that hard and not very expensive.

2 hours ago, RhodesAveDesigns said:

Given the global manufacturing and distribution markets, it is rate to find anything you make yourself to save money.

True, but that type of holster does not interest me.  I was looking at high end, custom made in the US by some of the most reputable CAS holster makers who's pricing for a two holster rig start at $399 and only goes up from there. These are usually made from Herman Oak leather and are lined with the same.  The belts have an additional sued lining to keep the rig from slipping down on your hips. These are fairly rigid holsters that don't collapse when you draw the revolver, and have a flared opening for easy re holstering. They are all beautifully made to order, I just hope mine turn out as nice.

If it was just buying materials, even if I buy a whole side of Herman Oak 6/7 oz and line it with the same, I could easily beat that price.  It is buying all of the tools, equipment and supplies for the first go around that drives the price up.

4 hours ago, cowboycolonel said:

I can off-set a bit of my investment by making for others,  They get what they are wanting and I pay for some of my costs and still get to do my own stuff. Everyone wins. 

I guess that is always an option down the road, but my standards are  high.  If I can't meet my standards, I won't make anything to sell to others.  Time will tell after I get a few rigs under my belt.  

Out of curiosity, are you using a sewing machine, or hand stitching your holsters and belts? I would think the labor costs go up dramatically if hand stitching, and it would take several orders to offset the cost of a leather sewing machine.

Also, would love to see pics of some of the holsters you have made.

Edited by RemingtonSteel

Yeah, the initial startup can be pricey, but if you figure the sheer amount of things you can make over time, I think it's worth it. There is a holster specialty forum on here as well if you haven't already found it. Cas and sass rigs are more complicated. I personally haven't made any. I have done gun rigs before just not cas and sass. I believe they have certain requirements for the holsters and belts you can use right?

Lots of knowledgeable people on here, I'm sure you'll find the help you need. Have fun!

On 8/25/2017 at 0:05 PM, RemingtonSteel said:

Hello to All,

I got interested in CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) about three months back and joined SASS (Single Action Shooting Society)  two months ago.  I am trying to gear up and have been looking at double holster rigs designed specifically for the sport.  There are many beautiful rigs out there, and all come with a hefty price tag to match their quality. I was also looking at Cowboy Cuffs, and thought I could make those. Not long after that thought came the next which was, if I was going to buy some leather tool and supplies, I might as well make my holster rig as well and save some money.

Well I just got done purchasing some basic tool, and am making a list of additional tools that I might need.  Turns out by the time I buy the books, tools, equipment, and leather, I am not going to save any money at all.:(  Well at least I will have the satisfaction of making my own gear.

I am wondering this though:  Am I the only one here stupid enough to take on two expensive hobbies at the same time?   Oh and I forgot to mention that while at the local antique mall last Saturday, I found and purchased a late 1800s J. D. Randall Company saddle stitching horse.

Remington Steel.

Do yourself a favor, . . . this set of DVD's will save you a ton of guessing, . . . and get you started out right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Bianchis-The-Arts-and-Secrets-of-Advanced-Western-Holster-Making-/112511827522?hash=item1a323a3e42:g:w1IAAOSwjTlZhkcJ

You will have to do a bit of "remodeling" in order to get what you want for CAS and SASS, . . . but the basic technique and leather workmanship starts there.

May God bless,

Dwight

I almost suggested those DVDs myself! But I forgot haha. Thanks Dwight!

I'd say your joining many of us that this started as a hobby and then got expensive rather quickly. 

So you could spend $400 for a basic rig, or a lot more for a custom. Where's the fun in that? After all for your hard earned money you'll only have something. 

If you take that same money and buy the tools and learn the craft you'll have learned so much, you'll have created something and have the tools n knowledge to do other things. 

The best part is when someone asks where you got your rig you can say "I" made it instead of giving them someone else's name.