RemingtonSteel

How to do a darker border?

I came across an older issue of the Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal (Mar/Apr 2009), where Gene Weishuhn had written an article titled "Make Your Own B Western Holster".  It is a very nicely written article/tutorial, but he neglects to mention how he does the dying and finishing of the rig.

246.JPG.b230837fdf4bcd754ef5d0299edd5c3e.JPG

If you look closely, the holster lining is more of a natural color and the outside is what looks to be Saddle Tan. This leads me to believe that he dye's the holster pieces separately before gluing and assembly, Is that about right?

My second question though, is the one that I would really like answered. How is the darker boarder done?  Would the whole piece be dyed Saddle Tan, and then once allowed to dry do you come back with a brush and hand dye the boarder the darker color? Or would you dye the holster minus the boarder Saddle Tan, and then come back and dye the border the dark brown?  I think it is a cool effect, but would be concerned that my hand would not be steady enough to get the clean lines between the two different dye colors that he has achieved.

Looks like the darker areas are recessed - my guess is the entire outfit is dyed saddle tan, then he went back and dyed the recesses darker

I have to agree with garypl. The darker areas seem to be quite a bit lower than the surrounding saddle tan area. This makes it easy to keep the darker dye in place with no bleed over. Just like Sheridan style backgrounding.

In other photos of this holster in the Journal, the dark border doesn't look recessed as it does in this photo.  I found Gene's website (he operates under Indian Creek Leather) where he has photos of additional holsters that he makes.  Here is another version of the holster in darker colors.

BRTT.JPG.160df741690ce39d51b373557dd542c5.JPG

It looks like the border is created by two parallel creases or cuts, and is flush with the rest of the leather.  Also the color of the billets and holster loops is darker than the border. Would you still concur that the body is stained first and then the border is stained darker by using a brush?

Cannot tell from the pictures if there is also a fine beveling along the darker border. I also think overall color comes first (light color), then the darker border (and buffing when dry, apply a finish etc.).

Another possibility is dying just the darker border and applying an overall antique (in the lighter color). But considering how even the coloring is: a couple of coats of finish might have been used prior to the antique (or no antique at all). 

Edited by gigi

It looks to me like the darker part is done by hand with a brush or something. If you look at the first pic on the billet you can see a few places where it looks like the dye went over the border. They do not appear to be antiqued at all that I can tell. 

So I would dye the entire project the lighter color, then hand dye the border the darker color. 

On the second one, it appears the same process was used, however I believe the billets and loops were dip dyed. They look a slightly bit darker and more even. But, could also be my eyes or the photo. 

Just my 2¢