tnhomestead

What is it?

Was given a bunch of pieces of this, not sure what kind of leather it is. Very heavy, was told they thought it was some kind of saddle leather. Its pretty thick, using it on a cowdog right now!

0905170944c.jpg

Blue green center is usually a give away that it is chrome tanned.   

Pretty sure that is veg tan that was poorly tanned. I think the term "wet blues" is used in the early part of the tanning process. Then if it doesn't stay in the tannin soak long enough the blue center remains.

It's been awhile since I researched the tanning process.

The Blue colour ( which is where "wet blue" as a leather term ) comes from the Chromium salts used in the Chrome tanning process..The processes has multiple stages and one of the earliest ones turns the leather a light blue colour , the leather is then passed through other processes before it gets its eventual colour. You can buy on leather trading markets ( but only in large quantities, usually thousands of skins/hides ) , leather at the "wet blue" stage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather
Nothing to do with veg tan leather..different process.
"whet blu" ( note the spelling ), is a brand..I have catalogue of their stuff around somewhere.

OP..( as per billybopp 's post ) you have there thick chrome tan ( chrome tan isn't always thin ) leather which has been given a different topside colour and also a matching flesh side colour.

Edited by mikesc