Sign in to follow this  
Acro

Hello Leather Workers!

Hello,

I just joined!  I'm new to working with leather but have experience with hand and machine sewing fabric and fake leathers.  I'm mostly interested in working with fish leather and some reptile leathers.  Besides working with them, I'd like to learn how to tann fish and reptile leathers too.  I'd love any recommendations on books or websites that cover working with fish and reptile leathers and/or tanning them! 

I look forward to talking with you!

Welcome! I look forward to seeing some of your creations in the future; I did't even realise fish leather was a thing, haha.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:38 AM, velvetwastaken said:

Welcome! I look forward to seeing some of your creations in the future; I did't even realise fish leather was a thing, haha.

Thanks for the welcome velvetwastaken.

Yes, fish leather is a rather unknown material, yet it has a long accident tradition in some cultures.  I find it fascinating, sustainable and easy to work with, and with each different type of fish, there is a different look because of the scale patters.

It seems that people don't really know what to do with fish leather, as it has a unique look that doesn't always look right with traditional leather crafts.  So I've been collecting ideas and trying different new designs to use with this type of leather.  In time, I'll post up some photos (of things I've created) and we'll see if it works.  My major in college was Theatrical Costume Design, so I hope my ideas will come across and be likable.  :) 

Edited by Acro

Welcome aboard.