JessH

Does car upholstery count as light or medium?

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and hoping to learn a lot. I have just purchased an old Singer 331k5 in the hopes of re-upholstering my small classic (real) mini in leather. I've eventually found a parts list via google, that says it's suitable for light leatherwork and fabrics of uneven thickness, (that was a relief, as could have been shirts, as precious little info on this machine seems to be about on youtube. Amazing how you find info after you've bought something! I missed out on a 132 designed for this work, and other 132's are well out of budget). The 331k5's previous owner has been using it for her interior decorating business, so I'm assuming her work was 'fabrics of uneven thickness", and she said it goes through anything she's worked with.

It has a walking foot, and 16 teeth to the inch feed dog, with 17 or 18 teeth altogether, can't remember which. It comes with an industrial motor, wooden table, and cast iron legs. Any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated? The service manual for the 331k1 (nearest found) says the thread twist has to go one way, but would direction be irrelevant for nylon bonded thread, as I've been told that's better for leather anyway? Also does anyone know anything about the Singer 451k125, as there's one near me very cheap in working order? Info seems non existent on google, though found one youtube video of how to thread it? It has a rotary face, like a rotary engine airplane with no wings, a very interesting looking beast.

JessH

Medium.
You sure that the machine is a "walking foot" ? that designation ( singer 451k125 ) is normally a needle feed with lower feed dogs.."needle feed with drop feed" ..a similar looking singer machine to that model does zig zag ( the stitch controller on those is in the "face" of the machine )..They are "cute" looking machines, kind of thing that has "Flash Gordon" aesthetics :)

Oh dear, I had a feeling you might say that. What kind of stuff does constitute light leatherwork? The 331K5 is definitely a walking foot, and is the only one I've actually purchased, though it doesn't arrive until next week.

The 451 has out of focus pictures (ebay), so I didn't know what kind of foot it has, you just can't see clearly enough, as they neglected to do close ups, so thanks to you I now know it isn't a walking foot, so probably won't pursue it, though as it's only a couple of miles up the road, I may go and have a look before making a decision? Zigzags may come in handy for other sewing? My Bernina 830 (bought new) does zigzag, but is fussy about the thickness she'll condescend to sew, my sofa covers were a challenge for both of us. Flash Gordon hadn't crossed my mind, but yes that too :). Thanks for getting back to me

Walking foot usually is related to a triple feed machine (mechanically driven top feed, bottom feed and needle feed in unison) but you often find this term along with so called "jump foot" machines. These are not really walking foot machines as the presser foot is not "mechanically driven", the foot is pulled back wile the feed dog moves forward and then jumps back at the end of the stitch because the foot bar is spring loaded. Not sure if you know what I mean. Your 331K5 is - as far as I know - a jump foot machine. Its the similar to the earlier Singer 31K19 or the heavier Singer 132K6 which often is called a walking foot machine as well.

31K15 and the like are more or less "hobbling foot" ;) machines but that term does not sell - if you know what I mean - so some folks call everything with a "moving foot" a walking foot machine. So be careful when you look at a so called "walking foot machine" - its not all the same!!!

But I would not start a fight because of this term I just wanted to clarify that not everything that is called "walking foot machine" is mechanically the same thing!

Edited by Constabulary

23 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Walking foot usually is related to a triple feed machine (mechanically driven top feed, bottom feed and needle feed in unison) but you often find this term along with so called "jump foot" machines. These are not really walking foot machines as the presser foot is not "mechanically driven", the foot is pulled back wile the feed dog moves forward and then jumps back at the end of the stitch because the foot bar is spring loaded. Not sure if you know what I mean. Your 331K5 is - as far as I know - a jump foot machine. Its the similar to the earlier Singer 31K19 or the heavier Singer 132K6 which often is called a walking foot machine as well.

31K15 and the like are more or less "hobbling foot" ;) machines but that term does not sell - if you know what I mean - so some folks call everything with a "moving foot" a walking foot machine. So be careful when you look at a so called "walking foot machine" - its not all the same!!!

But I would not start a fight because of this term I just wanted to clarify that not everything that is called "walking foot machine" is mechanically the same thing!

Reading the phrase hobbling foot made me laugh, no I don't think that would sell well in a PR sense :). I am however reassured by you comparing my coming 331k5 to a 132k6 as having the same jumping foot, as I narrowly missed a 132k6 which had been used for leather car upholstery for the last 47 years. So although mine may be a lighter version, it would appear the foot system, though not maybe the best, may at least be adequate. I think I know what you mean by the jumping foot, but cannot really begin to imagine what a mere hobbling foot does? Thanks very much for the info and the humour :)

hobbling foot is not an official term of course :lol: it was just to "draw a picture" - like someone who pulls behind his leg (I probably don´t have the correct english term for this :rolleyes2:) . The foot rests on the feed dog and applies some pressure, the the feed dog pulls the foot while feeding the material and when the stitch is done the foot jumps back... because its spring loaded. 13K6 has a similar system but is of course is a much heavier machine.

Edited by Constabulary

Oh do you mean the hobbling and jumping feet are the same thing? I think the phrase you were looking for is 'dragging his leg behind him'

On 25/09/2017 at 2:04 PM, Constabulary said:

You hit the nail :lol:

Not sure about calling mine a jumping foot anymore now she's arrived? The feet do appear to walk and there are two of them, though accept one of the feet may not be 'driven'.

Yesterday I saw a true jumping foot machine, I think it was a Singer 45 or 95? Can't remember which, but it only had one foot, which really did bounce vigorously up and down! Most definitely a true jumping foot, it was sewing thick belt type leather, and he did a lovely slow motion bit, from underneath, where you could see the feed dog coming up, and propelling the jumping foot up from underneath, fascinatiing piece of filming.

Hi, JessH,

I have read posts about your machine and search for the correct needles. Interestingly, I am trying to do much the same as you and have a similar, but not identical ancient walking foot singer industrial machine (31K47) that also takes 16x63 16x113 needles, and I am curious as to if you resolved your problem getting the appropriate leather point needles for your machine. I also saw your note on slowing the machine down. I did this by changing the motor to a servo motor. Since then I have used the machine to make several under-bonnet blankets for classic cars.

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

Hi, JessH,

I have read posts about your machine and search for the correct needles. Interestingly, I am trying to do much the same as you and have a similar, but not identical ancient walking foot singer industrial machine (31K47) that also takes 16x63 16x113 needles, and I am curious as to if you resolved your problem getting the appropriate leather point needles for your machine. I also saw your note on slowing the machine down. I did this by changing the motor to a servo motor. Since then I have used the machine to make several under-bonnet blankets for classic cars.

@JessH hasn't been around since 2021.  When you want to get someone's attention, either quote some part or all of their post or tag them using the @ symbol followed by their username and pick the username from the pop up list.  You may have to scroll down some to see the list.  When you properly tag a person, the tag shows up like this post.  If they aren't tagged or quoted, they may not receive a notice email.

On 5/5/2023 at 2:48 PM, Northmount said:

When you want to get someone's attention, either quote some part or all of their post or tag them using the @ symbol followed by their username and pick the username from the pop up list.  You may have to scroll down some to see the list.  When you properly tag a person, the tag shows up like this post.  If they aren't tagged or quoted, they may not receive a notice email.

@Northmount, thanks you for the tips.

Problem is solved. I managed to find some ever-so-slightly shorter leather needles with the same shank, and have been able to mount these in the needle holder with the eyes in the same position as the fabric needles, so the timing is not upset.  Cheers