At the last show, a customer asked me for a particular holster, but wanted it to look like he'd nearly worn it out.  When I finish a holster, it's snug, but wearable, certainly from the gun-fit end, but very snug on the loops and slots.  He came to pick up the holster, said how great it looked, and then proceeded to bend it in half in every direction, pull it out at the mouth and muzzle and twist it.

Hey, he paid for it and can do whatever he wants, but I imagine it was kind of like watching your kid go through boot camp.

The photo here shows a new, pristine holster with my "aged burnishing".

Distresssed.jpg

That looks pretty darn good! The darker ware area's are in just the right spots.

Would you care to share your method? Or is it your trade secret?

Thanks, this may have been one of the most fun holsters to make.  You're not the first to ask that question ... I'm sure just yet.  Stay tuned.

On 11/11/2017 at 9:46 PM, WoodysWorkshop said:

That looks pretty darn good! The darker ware area's are in just the right spots.

Would you care to share your method? Or is it your trade secret?

OK, I've thought about it and figure, with everyone here being pretty generous with advice, here goes. 

It took me about 6 tries using scrap holsters that I tossed, before putting dye on the finished piece. Daubers don't work, cotton rags don't work, rubber gloves don't work.  The holster is finished in straight neatsfoot oil.  Then I took a patch of suede and dipped a fingertip in a darker dye. WAIT FOR IT TO FLASH, and then I rubbed it on the high spots, behind the belt slot, etc. The low spots like the ejection port and boning lines were untouched, just like you want. It goes on just slow enough to look burnished, but fast enough to see what you're doing.  I felt like I had split an atom at that point ... it was my Eureka moment.

Thanks for asking!

Edited by Brooks125

Interesting technique, Brooks125...thanks for sharing! Definitely something I'll be bookmarking for my trick-bag. Lots of different ways to skin a cat, 'eh?

Thank You Very Kindly for sharing your unique technique Mr. Brooks!

I personally don't do holster, but I know I will be trying out your technique in the future to simulate age on items I make.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas...Everyone!