beltbuckles

anyone use this skiving machine

After testing and testing, I was not able to get it to skive ANYTHING! Didn't matter the thickness of leather, nor the tannage, I never got it to work. I saw videos on YouTube of how it should work, but I never got mine to skive. Mine is now sitting in the box on the shelf collecting dust. I was thinking of getting my own blades for it, but I actually forgot about it until now, maybe I will try that sometime in the near future.

Karina

18 hours ago, veedub3 said:

After testing and testing, I was not able to get it to skive ANYTHING! Didn't matter the thickness of leather, nor the tannage, I never got it to work. I saw videos on YouTube of how it should work, but I never got mine to skive. Mine is now sitting in the box on the shelf collecting dust. I was thinking of getting my own blades for it, but I actually forgot about it until now, maybe I will try that sometime in the near future.

Karina

hmmm odd, i saw videos on it as well and it looked really easy.... but i never used it so i was wondering if others have tested it. i would hate to buy it and not be able to.... what was the problem with yours do you think??

it has a 30 day return time limit, you could get it and test the snot out of it, and if it doesn't work ship it back

5 hours ago, beltbuckles said:

hmmm odd, i saw videos on it as well and it looked really easy.... but i never used it so i was wondering if others have tested it. i would hate to buy it and not be able to.... what was the problem with yours do you think??

My last thought was to try different blades. But I decided to give this thing another try this morning, and holy crap, I figured out the problem.  In the front of the skiver, there is a bolt that allows you to rotate the angle of the blade. (Red Arrow) Once I did that I got my first skive. I seriously have no idea how i missed that my first go around, but once I figured that out, it is as easy as in the video I watched. 

In the picture this is I think 5.5 oz drum dyed vegtan and it skived with ease.

skive.jpg

Edited by veedub3

I've got this one. not from this seller but this type.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Craft-Leather-Paring-Machine-Edge-Skiving-Machine-Leather-Splitter-Skiver-Blade/292145007695?hash=item4405330c4f:g:RocAAOSwOkFZisiF

for this price it does it's job.

with this device I fully splitted 12mm*20mm leather pieces.

image.png

Edited by Northmount
inserted photo

2 hours ago, AlexMayer said:

I've got this one. not from this seller but this type.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Craft-Leather-Paring-Machine-Edge-Skiving-Machine-Leather-Splitter-Skiver-Blade/292145007695?hash=item4405330c4f:g:RocAAOSwOkFZisiF

for this price it does it's job.

with this device I fully splitted 12mm*20mm leather pieces.

image.png

Very similar to http://www.talasonline.com/Scharf-Fix-Paring-Machine which is a well made machine priced at $375US

image.png

Tom

7 hours ago, veedub3 said:

My last thought was to try different blades. But I decided to give this thing another try this morning, and holy crap, I figured out the problem.  In the front of the skiver, there is a bolt that allows you to rotate the angle of the blade. (Red Arrow) Once I did that I got my first skive. I seriously have no idea how i missed that my first go around, but once I figured that out, it is as easy as in the video I watched. 

In the picture this is I think 5.5 oz drum dyed vegtan and it skived with ease.

YES!!! that's awesome.. im glad you got it to work.. i think i may have to get one..  thanks for the response

VeeDub3 or anyone else who has one - have you tried this with softer leathers - like upholstery leather? I make leather bags and use a lot of soft leather and really need something like this.