AlexMayer

Piping or what? how to finish edge

Good day to everyone.

Does anyone know or have ideas how to build this? I mean how to get this edge.

photo_2017-12-07_09-14-38.jpg.87107650e893358044fd9686bac2296d.jpgphoto_2017-12-07_09-14-39.jpg.5b42b572613e2e395296d2b1d36cbdad.jpg

I've got an idea that this should look like as follows this (cut avay side view) 

5a28ddec4f4b1_pipingorwhat.png.91eef6238199978340c5f0bd870628e1.png

am I digging in right direction? will appreciate your ideas

Jip...looks like standard 4mm piping.

Just google leather piping

There are 2 different methods in this picture.

The top is known as french binding which is basically binding which is stitched face to face on the flap then folded back over the edge and a second row of stitching holds down the binding and gives the row of stitching below the binding on the face of the bag flap, the first row of stitching is hidden by the binding being folded over it. 

The other finish is the piping in the seams of the bag where the the sides of the bag are placed face to face with the piping inbetween so all you see when stitching is one edge consisting of the 3 layers this is then turned the right way out the piping conceals the seam and gives a clean finish. 

Sorry no pictures but hope this helps.

The body of the bag is definitely piping where the two pieces come together with a contrasting piping/welt sewn between them.    There is a pretty good video about piping on Youtube by Cechaflo - who has a bunch of excellent videos about upholstery.

The flap can also be made with the same technique, but looking at the picture it doesn't quite look right to be plain piping - it's a little flatter, there is no edge showing from the flap body, and the stitching is VERY close to the edge.  That leads me to suspect that it is a french rolled edge.  Take a look at this wallet tutorial for some good photos of a French rolled edge.  

Bill

20 hours ago, fivewayswelshcobs said:

The top is known as french binding

16 hours ago, billybopp said:

suspect that it is a french rolled edge

Thank you so much for givving me direction!  I've givven up in despair to get to the bottom of this technique myself.

*went to study french binding/rolled edge*