Sanch

Jeremiah Watt QC-WE 6 piece set (lengthy)

My decision to purchase this set and what made me pull the trigger.  So after some time of thinking about purchasing this set of western-edge style Edge bevelers from ranchtoarena.com I decided to email the company. After a couple of emails my patience was wearing thin because it is what it is and we live in a fast-food world blah blah blah! I decided why not call and speak to someone there. Well lo and behold I found out that they happened to be out of the country and that's why my emails went with no response! No harm no foul, I was even able to speak to Jeremiah, who was kind enough to give me the specifications on the type of Steel used for these bevelers etc etc. He did go through the Heat Treating process and what not. 15 minutes after speaking to him I ordered this set! Needless to say their customer service is beyond phenomenal! I was supposed to have received the set of bevelers and handle on Monday I received them Saturday! Of course like a kid with a brand new toy I went to playing! I grabbed some scraps of leather all vegtan varying in thickness from 4oz all the way to 12-14oz saddle skirting and begin to try them out. My initial impression as well as my thoughts after having used them a few times now is this. These things are phenomenal I have absolutely no regrets in purchasing them! For those of you that have any trepidation about the thickness of the tools and the shape of the handle you have no worries whatsoever! First of all the thickness of the tools actually allows for better performance and the quality of the 1075 Spring Steel that they are made of is fantastic! The parallel line  that  has been spoken of  in previous threads  and seen on a video was an issue that I addressed to Jeremiah. He in turn explained to me what may have caused this issue. There could have been several factors to include the type of leather and "angle of attack" for lack of a better term needless to say this was not an issue for me.  

The handle: The handle has a very ergonomic shape! Also as many of you have seen already this handle is not like the round handles we are used to, which means it will not go for a walk off of your bench and land business end first on the blade! The shape of the handle itself leads the user to hold the tool in a correct fashion. It is not counterintuitive to the use whereas a straight handle sometimes can be. I know a little about this as I am a lean manufacturing instructor the importance of good tool design and the ergonomics of them can effect the end user greatly either in a negative or positive manner. Also I have made many "bladed" tools for myself ranging from stitching awls to round knives and am a fairly decent knife maker who knows the importance of good steel and the absolute importance of HT and temper,  so much of what I asked Jeremiah about pertained to this.  NOW as with anything else there has to be cons that follow all of the pros and here they are. The only con that I have personally is the handle, not the shape, but the material "plastic"  Keeping in mind these tools are meant to be cost effective, both for the individual purchasing them and the company I would say that using plastic was a very prudent choice, but if I had my way (which I will) I would prefer a wooden handle. Again in keeping cost to customers at a reasonable range as well as cost to the company plastic is a good alternative.  I will in the future make some handles for the set I have out of stabilized wood that is how confident in the quality of the blades I am. They will last me a great long time!

Finally. My disclaimer I am in no way shape or form affiliated with ranchtoarena.com everything that I wrote is my personal opinion and I am just giving my thoughts if you are looking to purchase some edge bevelers GET EM!  On the off-chance that Mr Watt or anyone there reads this I would like to thank them greatly,  you are fantastic people to deal with!

I'm glad you are liking them. I remember a thread awhile back where there had been problems with a run on heat treatment. Happy to hear that has been resolved.

Thanks for sharing.

Where are the pics of these 6 edge bevelers? ;-)

Every picture tells a 1000 word story. 

Chas

4 hours ago, ChasCS said:

Where are the pics of these 6 edge bevelers? ;-)

Every picture tells a 1000 word story. 

Chas

This is a true statement and I will post some later been kind of busy at work and it's been a long day!

37 minutes ago, Sanch said:

This is a true statement and I will post some later been kind of busy at work and it's been a long day!

Ok, thanks. I look forward to seeing those. 

Chas

On 12/11/2017 at 10:53 PM, ChasCS said:

Ok, thanks. I look forward to seeing those. 

Chas

Sorry for the late response. 20171214_205820_resized.jpg.dea5a26fde6f25d75c1224001b5266fa.jpg20171214_205853_resized.jpg.74b329c135d05242119619a578d39064.jpg

I see they also sell separate handles, if you wished to have them all with their own grip.

Do they work any better than the Tandy Craftsman series?

Chas

Edited by ChasCS

2 hours ago, ChasCS said:

I see they also sell separate handles, if you wished to have them all with their own grip.

Do they work any better than the Tandy Craftsman series?

Chas

I used to only have one Edge beveler which was the Tandy Craftsman series and I would say by far and wide yes they work better

2 minutes ago, Sanch said:

I used to only have one Edge beveler which was the Tandy Craftsman series and I would say by far and wide yes they work better

Ok, thanks. They look very well made, and the handle appears to be quite comfortable to use.

I may look into buying myself a set. Thanks for sharing your happiness & approval. 

Were they sharp, out of the box, or have you used a strop to clean them up a little?

Chas

15 hours ago, ChasCS said:

Ok, thanks. They look very well made, and the handle appears to be quite comfortable to use.

I may look into buying myself a set. Thanks for sharing your happiness & approval. 

Were they sharp, out of the box, or have you used a strop to clean them up a little?

Chas

They were ready to use right out of the box, no issues whatsoever if you do plan on sharpening them more I would suggest getting a piece of leather that is equal to each size and beveling it initially with each respective beveler apply some Rouge to it and then sharpen.

3 hours ago, Sanch said:

They were ready to use right out of the box, no issues whatsoever if you do plan on sharpening them more I would suggest getting a piece of leather that is equal to each size and beveling it initially with each respective beveler apply some Rouge to it and then sharpen.

It's nice to hear they are already well sharpened, right from the distributor, or manufacturer.

That suggestion, sounds about right, for keeping them ultra sharp. Thanks for the info, your time, and this post.

Chas