Jason046

Painting on dyed leather

I am trying to find the best dye to paint on top of. I am using fiebings dye and painting on it with Angelus paints but it always takes more coats than I would like to cover. I have seen videos of people painting over they're dyed work with ease. Is there a trick to it?

If your using a brush it, it just takes layers. One trick I use is to go over it with a coat of white paint or acrylic dye then paint the color you want. 

If doing things like letter you can paint with bottles that use needles.

13 hours ago, Jason046 said:

Thanks, I will give that a try

Let us know if that works out.

Small world fire88, I read up on your posts and see you got a cb 3200. I have been researching a good machine to get and this is the one I think I have narrowed it down to. If you don' mind me asking how much was it for everything you needed here and what do you think about it. I really like the heavy thread and how my stuff looks hand sewn. Was hoping for a close match

I agree with Fire in using a base coat of white then going over it with your colors.  Some of them build very slowly but I have found that using thin layers and taking my time gives the best results.  I am in no way a painter but this is what I came up with using Angelus Paint over a water stain with pearl additive.  All the best!

Scott

IMG_4980 (2).jpg