DominickTuroski

Considering a singer 31-15

Well the florence crown i was looking at didnt work out. Previously i was looking into a cobblery shop that had some extra machines and they finally got back to me. I was in search of a singer 29k (any version) turns out they had a long arm varient! Unfortunatley that came with an 800$ price tag. Not bad for the machine but waaay outside my range. Anyway, they also happened to have a singer 31-15. From what ive found it can handle leather just fine. It comes with table and motor for 200$ which seems like a steal if it works. (They say it does) Anyone with experience want to weigh in? Threads? Needles? Threading? Known issues? Im planning to sew wallets and maybe the occasional 7 ounce belt. I searched the forum for singer 31k and 31-15 but no luck so it seemed alright to start a new topic. Im going to check it out on tuesday, fingers crossed it goes well!

Happy holidays everyone, thanks for all of the help. Heres to leatherworker going strong in the new year!

Edited by DominickTuroski
Just fixed up some misclicks

Hey Mr d, 

Try a Google search like

31-15 leatherworker.net 

and you will get a number of finds. 

Parts and supplies very available. 

Downside.. Notorious for lasting forever. 

You can restrict Google searches to this site by including the string "site:leatherworker.net" in your search string.  For other sites, just replace "leatherworker.net" with the site's url.  Google has much more powerful search engines and better indexing (huge databases).  So you will often get better results using Google than those built into many sites like leaterworker.net.  Example:  31-15 site:leatherworker.net

Tom

I have an early Singer 31-15. It doesn't like any thread heavier than #69 bonded nylon, which prefers a #18 needle. When I first bought it, the bobbin case rotated out of the top alignment channel and caused chaos. I ended up replacing the entire shuttle assembly and found bobbin cases that stayed in place. Hopefully, the machine you are considering doesn't suffer from that problem. Definitely run it at the seller's shop before taking it home to ensure it both sews and retains the bobbin case at speed.

After fixing the shuttle problem I used my 31-15 to sew pigskin wallet interiors and hem cloth items for customers. It is a very good tailoring machine.

If you intend to sew belts, a Singer 111w155 is better, as it is a walking foot machine.