shock

Branding Veg tan

I am making a few holsters and for one of them I would like to put a brand on the front fold. Is there a way I can brand or mimic a brand on veg tan? Hot wet it, punch it, and dye it or ???

You can use a leather burning kit:  https://www.tandyleather.ca/en/product/leather-burning-tool-set?ip_lookup_country_id=CA&loadedFromCookie=1&session_id_token=fdc3c12121a068a8fecbea6d2e1e622923d2d311

I have a wood burning kit which I inherited from my late husband. I haven't tried it on leather yet, but I think it would probably work just fine, if you'd prefer not to give Tandy any of your money! 

P.S. - chuckling at your signature! Yes, we do make a mess sometimes, especially when dyes are involved, and scraps certainly come in VERY handy, especially when testing out something new! :D

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I heat my iron and press it down on the dry leather.  Not much to it.

These pics I did mainly for the photo. I don't heat the iron in a fire, just with a propane torch, and I don't do it with the amount shown in the photos.

5a5166a0b8b7d_ScreenShot2018-01-06at4_11_29PM.png.6041e1ea68dcf55f2856d5fc8259f526.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 4.12.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 4.12.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 4.12.34 PM.png

Edited by MakerUnknown
Photos too big

Thanks everyone, this helps a lot

mu

Beautiful photos :-)