Dun

Veg tan with a pull up?

My uncle had some scrap leather and mystery tools. The tools looked like an edge beveler at first but I think are actually burnishers.

Some of the leather I assumed was chrome tanned and when folded it and did a test stitch it had a bit of pull up oil displacement. And then it burnished really well so I have no idea what it actually is.5a5d3cec94f8b_2018-01-1515_43_57.jpg.b501f6a6af8367ab6fc0983dc2551c89.jpg

Behind the mystery leather is a piece of glazed pigskin and some regular veg tan scrap. There is a major difference when the pigskin is on the outside of the combo, it doesn't burnish much at all

Looks like it may be oil tanned aka "oilies".

I don't know much about them. They may be combination tanned.

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Looks like it may be oil tanned aka "oilies".

I don't know much about them. They may be combination tanned.

I had been staying away from oily leathers cause I thought they didn't like hand burnishing?

1 minute ago, Dun said:

I had been staying away from oily leathers cause I thought they didn't like hand burnishing?

All the rules aren't always true with every kind of leather. While there are generally rules for dealing with leather of this type or that type, they don't always apply to every tannage falling under that name.

Again, I was kind of guessing about the leather being an oiley. I'm not sure that it is. If it is, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't take a burnish. All leather is just so different each other.

Hopefully, someone with more experience than me will chime in.

4 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

All the rules aren't always true with every kind of leather. While there are generally rules for dealing with leather of this type or that type, they don't always apply to every tannage falling under that name.

Again, I was kind of guessing about the leather being an oiley. I'm not sure that it is. If it is, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't take a burnish. All leather is just so different each other.

Hopefully, someone with more experience than me will chime in.

Thanks. I'll try and take a pic of the logo brand thingy. I really like the stuff now and would like to know what it is to get more

4 hours ago, nstarleather said:

I'd say that the there are exceptions to every rule... I'd suspect that soft veg-tan won't burnish well and than some "dryer" chrome will burnish fine. 

As far as Veg-tan with pullup, it's 100% possible: Horween's Dublin is Veg and Pullup.

Good to know thanks.

And here is the only markings on it if that can help ID it5a5e2e45041bf_2018-01-1608_54_06.thumb.jpg.29c9a703032c94c289d2413ae0897825.jpg

4 hours ago, Dun said:

Good to know thanks.

And here is the only markings on it if that can help ID it5a5e2e45041bf_2018-01-1608_54_06.thumb.jpg.29c9a703032c94c289d2413ae0897825.jpg

Not sure about the upper stamp (tannery logo perhaps?) but the digits indicate that it's been measured at 14.3SQFT.