14 hours ago, Wedgetail said:

Definitely need a press... bashing the die with a mallet will just damage it in short time.

There are a "tonne" of options though (pardon the pun)

Clicker presses are the most efficient, and ready for use. Also the most expensive. And those can be manual  or hydraulic.

Next, maybe a book binding style screw press. But those are pretty slow going.

Other options are a large arbor press, or a shop press (hydraulic or bottle jack style)... both of which you'd need to modify to use, such as putting a wide foot on the post so you don't just damage the die, and to spread the pressure evenly across the die. Also a nice flat plate to press onto that will accept the load.

In other words, if youre only considering it for one thing, it's probably not worth the investment... and if you are not using a clicker press, or arbor press, then it would simply be faster to cut around a hard template.

But if you are clicking out pen sleeves, wallet parts, etc in sufficient volume, thenworth considering.

Of course, you could get a suitably sized laser cutter... but that's another conversation.

For the past year or so my family has been trying to get a laser engraver for a lot of purposes (leather cutting being one). But they sure aren't cheap.

7 hours ago, Wyowind said:

How about hair-on Bison to give that wooly mammoth effect.

I could probably sell that to someone as woolly mammoth. One customer asked if one of our dragon pens was made with real dragon scales... and he was serious. So my brother suggested that if someone asked what my hair-on leather was, I should tell him/her that it's baby dragon fur. :lol: