RKCrowe

Travel Guitar Case- Best way to attach shoulder strap

Good day to all,

I am going to make a gig bag for a Travel Guitar. The person that I am making it for travels a lot, and when walking with his bags he either slings the guitar over the shoulder , which poses no issues. The stress force is inline with the anchor point of the strap ⬆️⬇️,OR he loops the strap around the suit case handle and that poses an issue for me. The stress force is at an angle ⬆️➡️ 

The issue being, when he carries the guitar on his suitcase, the stress on the strap attachment point is at an angle to the normal. So consequently, on his nylon bags the strap stitches eventually start to fail. And why I am seeking some advise.

I am planning to attach the sling to the inside of the bag, exiting through a slot to the outside. I plan to augment with reinforcing piece on the exterior and slightly above the slot to pickup some of the stress when pulled at different angles. Would that be sufficiently strong? I also consider, in addition, to angle the anchor point, thinking the strap would then curl some, wether carried over the shoulder or the suitcase handle, effecting a closer alignment of the stress force lines? I am open to all options.

I plan to use “designer” leather that I got on sale at Tandy, for both the bag and liner. And 5-7 once veg for the sling.

Or am I just over thinking it?

Thank you for your time and advise.

RIchard

Just thinking aloud, can you design an attachment point using a D ring and a swivel clip? That way you could disperse the strain with being as concerned about the directionality of the load... buckle guy or hardware elf both have some great, high quality hardware. Pic below of how I did the attachment for a briefcase for hubby. Attachment point here is directional, but could easily be tweaked  

6B569C95-2C5A-4F85-96C9-37B09A536150.jpeg

Edited by motocouture

Any force hard enough to hurt basically any strap attachments are going to damage the instrument inside the case. So dont over think it. That said I second d rings.

Thank you everyone for your responses. It has definitely helped.and what I love about this forum!

Edited by RKCrowe

I just got a picture of how the guitar will be carried on the suitcase and it really will not be an issue about the stress forces.

Guess I just saw snarks and gremlins in the darkness of doubt. This will be my biggest challenge to date, being for someone other than me. 

Again, thank you all

Richard

4 hours ago, RKCrowe said:

I just got a picture of how the guitar will be carried on the suitcase and it really will not be an issue about the stress forces.

Guess I just saw snarks and gremlins in the darkness of doubt. This will be my biggest challenge to date, being for someone other than me. 

Again, thank you all

Richard

Understand completely! That’s what helps make you better at your craft, though :)