ContactCement

Home made Stainless Steel Burnisher First Stage.

I'm crafting my own professional burnishing tool.  :)  The heavy scrap leather shown is for show and what I might attempt to use for a stacked leather handle. I  however I don't know what kind of grab bag scrap leather it is and have never made a stacked leather handle.

I  recently made a heavy leather smoother.  I  still need to choose a handle material either wood or stacked leather or plastic.  I  purchased and recycled a 1" thick scrap stainless steel disc 2 1/2" diameter that weighs 1 lb 6 oz.  I don't own a metal lathe. No metal lathe was used for my project. The scrap stainless steel disc was already machined to size and had  machining marks left when it was cut to length.  It took 4 hours using wet dry sandpaper, water and my granite surface plate to flatten it. I drilled and tapped for a bolt hole exactly on center. The tiny little gap near the threads is from using a counter sink to remove the burr. I cut the head off a straight bolt then put it into my drill press on low speed to file the radius and polish the edge.  A buffing wheel on the bench grinder was used for the final almost mirror finish using Red Rouge. Your opinion counts should I make this into a maul and smoother combination tool?   Would I make another one of these? Yes it was time consuming, inexpensive and fun.

P1010022.JPG

P1010017.JPG

P1010016.JPG

P1010020.JPG

P1010018.JPG

Edited by ContactCement

How do you intend to use this as a burnisher please explain

Great job on the finish.

Is that threaded rod (bolt shaft) going to be strong enough to hold the weight, especially if its going to be used in/on a machine driven burnisher?

I don't see how this is a burnisher. Are you sure you don't mean a leather fitter's hammer or smasher?

Whatever it is, you've done a good job; it would be nice to see it when it's finished

Will a stacked leather grip be enough around a bolt that size diameter? Perhaps a wood handle might be better

Chaps, He's making a burnisher that looks a bit like this;

https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/craftool-pro-leather-burnisher

image.png.d16dad9780f7aff74691fb7930b09a8b.png

Ah, now I see; thankyou

Why not ask around to find a woodturner or a woodturning club to make a wooden handle? That sort of thing is meat & drink for them