Sheilajeanne

Glue and Holes

I've decided to put a lining in a Tandy project that has pre-punched holes, and I'm having a real problem with the glue leaking through the holes and staining the grain side of the leather.

I suppose one solution would be to just not put glue where the holes are, but then when you are trying to finish your edges, the two layers of leather aren't sticking together, so you can't get a nice clean edge.

Anyone have suggestions other than just NOT lining Tandy kits with their large pre-punched holes? 

Are you punching holes in the lining to match the Tandy holes? Use double sided tape along that bit

Or just put the contact adhesive on the lining part and thinly, just enough to hold the lining in place

Also can you make the liner just short of the holes? Then you don't have to worry about the extra thickness or if the liner will burnish.

Two of the four edges will be visible, so I guess I could try cutting the liner smaller for the two edges that will be  hidden by a seam. The liner is very thin pigskin, which just happens to have come pre-dyed a colour that is very close to that of my project. Weight/thickness isn't a problem for sewing the edges, but I don't think it's going to burnish very well. I am just pricking through the Tandy  holes with an awl to make my sewing holes.