alpha2

Long stitch in the corner

So while making it around a corner, I got an errant  stitch, noticeably longer than the others. I'm sure there is a simple and obvious explanation for this, but I'm way to new at this to get it.

You know, now that I look at it again, the stitches after the corner are shorter...what is that all about?

And I realize the border got a little wonky at the corner, that's another story altogether.

Thanks for any advice. 

Jeff

longstitch.JPG

You turned the corner as the needle was in the up position and when it came back down it stretched the stitch.  To form a right-angle corner, when you get to the end, you leave the needle in the full-down position and then press lightly on the lifter pedal to raise the foot enough you can turn the project.  Then you roll the balance wheel by hand to make the next stich.  This should form a correct right or left angle.  The pros can predict the path of the needle on the turn and form a round corner the same way, by feathering the lifter-foot and needle-down position to keep the stitches even.  Just takes a lot of practice and a steady hand, oh and a speed-reducer helps a lot. 

Well, that makes sense! Thanks.  I can sew as slow as I could possibly want to with the CowBoy, I just didn't realize that was what happening. It looked so easy on the videos! I guess I've been lucky so far...until today.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Agree with that above, if you turn with the needle out you can increase the distance at the point at which it lands again....   Not sure about the stitch length being smaller on the other face.   Generally speaking the modern sewing machine like the Cowboy CB3200 and Cb4500 have needle bars that swing like pendulums, so the thinker the material the shorter the stitch is going to be.

Being twice the normal length, isn't that a skipped stitch rather than a stretched out normal stitch?  I can't tell from the pic if there is an empty hole under there.  

I just checked, it's a long stitch. Yetibelle nailed it. I must have turned the corner with the needle up.