Hello ever one

I have just recently bought a few singer 29k71, 72, 60,62, 51, 70,  and in my search of numbers, manuals, dates and also history I have not found anything on why there are some of the machines that are Grayish blue in color????  Does anyone know a reason or is it that singer just want to change the color that year/model!

I have one 29k71 that is grayish blue with a SN# EX644466 it has a tag on it that shows 29k71 but when I look it up on singer it shows it is a 132k??? don't know why????

I have a opportunity to purchase one of the same color but it is a 29k73 long arm small bobbin.

Are these color machines anything special or just a color change?  

Thank you  Crfiremech

I have a blue body Singer 29k172 long arm machine that says Made In Japan on the tag on the back. I almost bought a Singer 22U with a blue body that also said it was made in Japan. It might be that the Japanese built Singers had blue bodies to distinguish them from those made in the USA or UK.

Wizcrafts

That could explain the color different,  I have not seen if it shows were it was made, I will need to look.

For about a year now I have taking up collecting, restoring, and repairing a few machines that I like and could use doing leather so I am in the Learning stage still.

I was in the market for a singer 29k70 when I came across a man here in Calif: that had about 70 to 100 different machines up for sale (Estate sale) I had made a deal for 12 singer 29k's and some other units as well so now I have my hands full.

I am going to bring them back to life then Part with them in due time

Wizcrafts  thank you for the information

Hi - firstly I am no expert, but have spent too many hours recently web searching Singers that I am using or repairing at the moment.

I have noticed that it seems to be a date based change, certainly in the UK when for example the Singer 201K changed shape, and colour, which was in the 1950s.

My 45K58 from 1914 is blue/grey now, but its been restored, there were faint traces of the original black under it (huge shame, but I use it rather than gaze at it. When I finish using it, maybe I will properly time period resto it.

Harry

1 hour ago, crfiremech said:

I was in the market for a singer 29k70 when I came across a man here in Calif: that had about 70 to 100 different machines up for sale (Estate sale) I had made a deal for 12 singer 29k's and some other units as well so now I have my hands full.

WOW - lots of old cast iron.  :huh:

You should get int ouch with our LW Member SHOEPATCHER - he has tons of vintage patchers too. Maybe he will jump in here soon ;)

Is the serial number clearly EX or is it EY? My 29K71 clearly has a EY serial number prefix.

Edited by Constabulary

Constabulary

It is real clear the serial #EX644466

After Looking at it closer it looks like this machine has been restored or repainted

there is a decal on the back that shows (Made in Great Britain) is there a separate serial number list for machines made in Great Britain?  

I am still confused because on the singer site /serial # list  (EX 641625 645124 132K 3500 JUNE 3 1965) stating it is a 132K  and not a 29K maybe typo? Or a Tag on front of machine has been changed ???

Blue 29k71 920.jpg

Blue 29k71 a 920.jpg

Blue 29k71 b 920.jpg

I asked this question at the Sewing Machine Museum in London and they told me Singer started doing blue/ grey machines in the 1950 to distinguish from the black ones before that