Prestige593

Adding a pocket to a messenger bag?

This is my first attempt at a messenger bag. Its a simple fold over design with no liner. I would like to add a pocket to the outside of the front panel that will be concealed by the flap (circled in red). Maybe something for a cell phone or something small. My question is, how do I make the measurements for the pocket panel? I feel that if I make a simple rectangle and stitch it on 3 side it will be so flush to the bag that it won't have any inner depth. Should I cut the pocket panel in a trapezoid and stitch at right angles? This sounds like it would make sense to  allow for room in the pocket. Maybe angles at just a 1/4" or something?

IMG_7010(1).jpg

Put a small gusset on the pocket.  Say pocket is 6 inches wide. Then a 1.5 inch sewn to the pocket. Flesh to flesh. Then sew the strip to the body of the bag. 

This is what I would do. Simple large pocket on the front to meet the lines of the bag. making it this large allows a wide opening that still conforms well with the closed lid.  Keep the bottom seem hidden with a fold to make the bottom of the pocket have some room so things dont get wedged to the bottom.

step1.jpg

step2.jpg

Edited by radrider

55 minutes ago, radrider said:

This is what I would do. Simple large pocket on the front to meet the lines of the bag. making it this large allows a wide opening that still conforms well with the closed lid.  Keep the bottom seem hidden with a fold to make the bottom of the pocket have some room so things dont get wedged to the bottom.

step1.jpg

step2.jpg

This is an awesome idea. I think that by doing that I can even add a small pocket on the inside and the stitch lines will be concealed by the large pocket on the outside. The inside one will be very small, maybe just to hold business cards in, or a double to also hold a phone.  

Thanks for the idea. I just need to figure out how to make my cuts on the outer edges of the bottom where it folds over so that its not too bulky. Maybe just a diagonal on the seem that gets stitched. 

Thanks for the idea.

something like this to remove the bulk of the corner fold.
Maybe without the rounded edges though as it doesnt fit the raw angle corners of your designfold3.jpg.360242b9433b7a84719c9f6de17500c4.jpg

Edited by radrider

If its for holding a phone ...have you thought about doing a simple piece across your gusset under the D ring? That buckets in and should make it good for quick access.

Once I did a bag that I did the same thing l. But I made it removeable. I completed the pocket and added. Fancy snaps that showed on the outside of the bag.

Hope this helps

13 minutes ago, Grumpymann said:

Once I did a bag that I did the same thing l. But I made it removeable. I completed the pocket and added. Fancy snaps that showed on the outside of the bag.

Hope this helps

Sounds like a good idea. :16: