MoRoadglide11

Cowboy Boots make great holsters! - Part II

Hey Guys!,

Just photographed my latest experiment and wanted to share it with you. The boot I used, in this project, is a very dark gray (although it looks black in the photos) and is made by Nocona. I chose this particular boot because I could afford to use it as the "sacrificial lamb" in the making of a holster I've never made in this style. I still have the other boot to this pair waiting for another project to happen. My purpose in making this holster was to see how to skin a western style holster out in cowboy boot...and as you can see....I was somewhat successful. Building this holster has given me the knowledge that it can be done and has helped me in working out the bugs in my process. I was sweating bullets for a bit but, I think it came out ok and wondered what you guys thought. Your feed back would be greatly appreciated as this will determine whether this style of holster covered in cowboy boot has a chance in the western holster market. Keep in mind that this holster is not finished and is only a prototype...it still needs edge sanding / slicking and edge coating.

20180220_180101.jpg

20180220_180141.jpg

20180220_180124.jpg

Hey Matt,

I line all of my holsters with veg tan...no matter what size, shape, or style. For me...it's all about protecting the investment someone makes in a pistol. It makes no sense in buying...say a Wilson Combat 1911...and holstering it in an unlined, cheap holster. Thanks for the question...I think it's important to anyone who owns an expensive pistol and wants to protect the way it looks.

Yep. I was wonder because when I first started with Leather. 1.5 yrs ago.lol I got some old boots to make something but wasn't knowlegable to line it with veg tan so ended throwing them away. And you use Edge Kote? I've not had luck with it sticking well and lasting. 

Hey Matt,

I use Fiebings Dura Edge when I edge coat. I don't care for Fiebings Edge Kote. Dura Edge is far more durable than Edge Kote in my opinion.

Neat concept. I like how you worked the pattern layout to include the decorative piece from the top of the boot (??) into the lower muzzle area of the holster. Interesting prototype...will be following to see how this washing out.

15 minutes ago, Double Daddy said:

Neat concept. I like how you worked the pattern layout to include the decorative piece from the top of the boot (??) into the lower muzzle area of the holster. Interesting prototype...will be following to see how this washing out.

Hey Double,

Thank you!....You're right!...the decorative piece you refer to is the yoke at the top of the boot vamp at the front of the boot. I do this on purpose because when people look at my holsters...some don't recognize that its a cowboy boot they are looking at in a different form. Cowboy boot tops are a work of art to me and I love re-purposing well cared for boots into something useful and unique while preserving the original design stitching. I do this process with all of my holsters. I use I hand made patterns from Lexan sheet so I can see through them when I'm laying out a holster. The base material is Herman Oak that I join the cowboy boot to so I get a fully lined holster with some decorative stitching as an added bonus. A lot of leather workers hand tool...which is an art in itself and I've done my fair share. I found my niche in adding cowboy boot to holsters, magazine holders, guitar straps, rifle straps, and other crazy ideas I can come up with. I will be coming up with other projects this year to add to my product line up so long as I can keep finding nice cowboy boots.

I looked at your other post/pics...very nice work! If you don't mind me asking...what type of machine do you use? I'm using a CB3200 presently but am looking at adding a lighter duty machine for smaller items (e.g. Consew P1026, etc). Just wondering since some the boot leather on your work seems delicate and a 441 style machine seems like it would "track" pretty heavy, despite all effort to reduce top tension.

33 minutes ago, Double Daddy said:

I looked at your other post/pics...very nice work! If you don't mind me asking...what type of machine do you use? I'm using a CB3200 presently but am looking at adding a lighter duty machine for smaller items (e.g. Consew P1026, etc). Just wondering since some the boot leather on your work seems delicate and a 441 style machine seems like it would "track" pretty heavy, despite all effort to reduce top tension.

Hey Double,

I use a Techsew 5100 SE. It's an aggressive machine and does have a lot of presser foot pressure but, is adjustable from the top of the arm. Upper and lower thread tension is also adjustable and sometimes I have to adjust thread tension  and presser foot pressure, depending on the weight of leather, and the size of needle and thread. Some cowboy boots tops are thinner than others but I've yet to come across a boot top that couldn't take the punishment of presser foot pressure. My machine has a deeper throat compared to yours but, I suspect your machine is a beast as well and can do the same work mine does. Mine is the same machine as the Cowboy CB 4500. My hope, in the future,  is that I will supplement my current machine work with a  lighter duty machine that is less aggressive and can do finer, more intricate work.

Techsew 5100 SE (front).jpg

Techsew 5100 SE (back).jpg

After I read your first post, I have been looking for some old cowboy boots to make a holster. I have been visiting my local thrift stores and flea markets in my search and have not found a single pair. I will continue to look though - I really like your idea. Maybe I will find a suitable donor pair when the weather gets better and the yard sales start up..

Edited by K5HEP

Hey K5HEP,

You can always go to www.shopgoodwill.com and bid on a pair if you're unable to find any boots locally. I get most of my boot pairs from this site. Just be careful....scrutinize the photos to make sure you're not buying a pair that have damage. When you get into the site....type into the site search bar "cowboy boots" or "western boots". You see all of the cowboy boots or western boots they are offering up for bid and the auction end dates. Let me know if I can help you further on this.

Mark