Sheilajeanne

Problems With A Dremel

So, I've had this dremel for a long time. I don't even remember if it belonged to me or my husband, it's been around that long! (He's been gone 13 years now.) I did try using it once to unclog a drainage pipe that was plugged up with ice, and that meant attaching the flexible extension to it. Other than that, it's been sitting in its box, gathering dust. Most of the attachments are still in the original plastic bags.

So, tonight I got it out, wanting to use it to burnish some edges. It turns out the burnisher i got from Tandy doesn't work - the hole is too big to fit any of the attachments. 

Now, the flexible extension has been keeping me from putting the dremel away in its handy storage box. So, I looked at the instructions to figure out how to get it detached. It says to depress the yellow button until the collet locks, then turn collet counter clockwise to unscrew it.

Well, I have tried everything, and I can't get the collet to unscrew. The little wrench they include in the kit is a joke. I bent it, and now it keeps slipping. I can turn the collet a quarter turn with a pair of pliers, but after that, the yellow button just pops back up again, despite me having my finger on it.

Help, anyone?  :wacko:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Give it a squirt of WD40 or 3IN1 oil and let it sit over night and try again. Try not to get oil in the motor if you can, if you do and its WD40 it will evaporate in about a day. Try to find a wrench that fits so you dont round the corners. You want to  work the nut back an forth with a little more force  in the left( or off) direction.Good luck.

The Dremel is a handy little tool for delicate work, but the 1/8" tool shanks are way too small for Tandy's burnishers.  For that you need a 1/4" electric drill and a 1/4" bolt with nut to attach the burnisher.

As for the collet nut on the Dremel, the WD40 should help some.  You shouldn't have to turn the nut more than 1/2 turn to loosen the collet, but then I find it necessary to push the tool into the collet just a little before pulling it out. 

Edited by olfart

I've been using my deemed a lot recently, having not used it for an age. Each time I want to change tool its been a hassle, but using a proper spanner,and gently persisting has worked. Its much better again, also olfart's comment on pushing the tool in to get the collet loose is exactly right.

H

With my dremel and all of my routers, I find a light tap on the bit usually loosens the collet if it does not loosen when the collet nut is backed off.

All good advice. When you have taken it apart give the threads a very light smear of oil or Vaseline to prevent it sticking in future

There are so many things I'm not going to say about this thread!

Oookay, so you know the old adage 'lefty loosey, righty tighty'? 

And when you are looking at a clock face counter clockwise is when the hands are moving to the left?

Mhmmmm....

I don't know who wrote the user manual for this tool, but they obviously need to understand that when you are trying to loosen the collet, you are going to be holding the tool IN YOUR HAND, not facing it, therefore counter-clockwise is to your LEFT!!

When I had a go at the dremel tonight, with a proper open-end wrench this time, it suddenly hit me. MAYBE I was trying to turn the collet the wrong way!!

So, I turned it to the right. BINGOO!  :rolleyes2: It loosened up with only a moderate amount of pressure.

I now have the darned thing put away in its case, not without some difficulty, as the extension and the power cord both wanted to turn into snakes, and escape the box.

And I have searched my supply of odds and ends for a bolt that will fit the burnishing wheel. No luck - I do have one the right diameter, but it's not long enough. So, will need to make a trip to the hardware store. I did try the bolt I had in my drill, and it fitted very nicely. Just need to get a longer one, and I'll be able to burnish to my heart's content!  

musta been an Aussie Dremel?

Mjolnr , thats a good one!

:rofl:

Not to sound elitist but a new Dremel, with different size coletts and a bunch of cool stuff is under $30 or so. Amazon has many different kinds and features with different prices. Get one with 'ball bearings' as they last longer.

Sam:)