JeannieH

Fileteuse vs Campbell Bf110 vs other

Hello!  Please, the expert edge glazers out there..help!  I am in serious need of a heating tool for my edges.  I make hand bags and I must have a professional finish.  I haven't started selling yet...because I don't feel great about my edges.  That brings me to the fileteuse.  So, I know I'm not going to buy the read.  Leathercraftpattern has an version that looks and works just like it..plus you get tips that come with it..http://www.leathercraftpattern.com/leather-tools-leathercraft-tools/Creaser/electronic-leathercraft-creaser

Campbell randall has one but I'm not sure how much each tip costs...

What do you guys use?  SHould I go for the regad kind or just the upcycled soldering iron from Campbell?

It maybe doesn’t help much but Decocuir also do a version and they have a sale on at present. Anything I have bought from them has always been good quality and they have excellent customer service. Although the site is in French it is easy enough to navigate and I have never had trouble oredering from them (thanks Google translate!)

https://www.decocuir.com/alimentation-manche-fer-fileter-cuir-marquage-c102x2752029

Thank you I will take a look at it!

Upcycled soldering iron, eh.

Someone who owns one can answer whether these Regad style units have thermocouples in the handles and PIDs in the head units. I've never seen an off the shelf PID with a knob, so I doubt it, but I admit I don't understand why those handles look like lightsabers instead of upcycled soldering irons, which is all you really need unless you like spending money.

The Campbell Randall unit uses a very reliable infinite switch unit to heat the business end. It's not as accurate as one with a PID, but I don't find that it matters much.

You can make your own tips out of brass to serve your exact need. Use a hacksaw, a file, some sandpaper, a drill, and a 6mm tap to thread your hole to fit the handle.

The Campbell Randall unit does exactly what it's supposed to very nicely and is reasonably priced. I like mine.

lol well that’s what it looks like at least. How much do the tips cost? I see it comes with a pointed one I guess for thread burning? I was thinking by the time I bought the tips I needed...I could have just bought the regad type one that’s 400 with 7 specialty tips..shipping probably 40-50.

Don’t forget to also look into Cmdachong.   He is a one man operation out of mainland China.  You can PM him directly on Instagram.  Many happy customers.  Seriously nice stuff from him.  Extended lead time of 1-2 months+

$125 for the unit.

$57 for the handle.

$42 for each tip. 

Additional information:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Leathercraft/comments/6e3bi4/electric_leather_creaser_from_cmdachong/?st=JERMV4BA&sh=d8827781

Edited by Webicons

Mine came with a brass disk with a 2mm round groove on the side, but I think you can choose if you call Sam at CR.

I'm not kidding though - tips are really easy to make with cheap tools. You probably already have a hand drill and a vise or clamp. You otherwise only need a cheap file set, a variety pack of sandpaper up to 800 grit or higher, a 6mm drill, and a 6mm tap and handle. You can buy the brass cutoffs from a local machine shop if they don't just give them to you. Drill and tap a 6mm hole in a small piece of brass, screw it on your upcycled soldering iron handle (off and cool), file and sand it to the shape you want, profit. Alternately, grind the side off a 6mm machine screw, drill and tap it for a screw to hold the business end, and make the business end itself out of brass.

With the exception of the round edge tool, which required a lathe to make, the brass tools took no more than 20 minutes each to make for specific needs as they arose. In case anyone is contemplating using steel, don't bother. Just use brass.

If you're able to make the tools yourself, the CR unit is a real bargain.

edge-tools.jpg.1f3f9926884ac2f13632bbd6cb773811.jpg